Chapter 7 - Explanations

You sat on the floor of the TV room, Smile's head on you leg as you scratched in between his ears. You leaned your head back so you could look at those behind you, mainly Jeff, for whom you had a question which has been burning in the back of your thoughts for a while now. There was also one to direct to any of them, but you saved that for after.

"Hey, Jeff? Can I ask you something?"

"You just did."

You sighed at the overused joke.

He chuckled at your reaction, then straightened up.

"Well, what is it? Go ahead."

"Why aren't you blind? I mean, you'd think the lack of eyelids would do that to you." You finally got it out. Now to hear his answer.

Jeff rubbed at the back of his head, uncertain of how to word his answer.

"Honestly, you think I would be. I thought so too. But when Slender does whatever it is he does when he makes someone a proxy, it 's like it..."

"Stops time for you?" BEN offered.

Jeff snapped his fingers at him.

"EXACTLY! That's basically what happens. Its like we're stuck in time. Some of us have gotten shot before, and it should have killed them, but it doesn't. Its really weird, but we try not to question it too much."

"Too much of a headache." BEN added.

You nodded slowly. "And why are all of you so, well, not like the stories? I mean, you haven't tried to kill me. Well, except for... Nevermind."

"You haven't called the cops." Jeff commented, and BEN cuffed him in response.

"You mean, why are we so laid back and not as violent here, unlike when we're on a job?" Jack tried to clarify what you were asking.

"Yeah, that."

Jeff waved his hand in front of his face a few times. As his hand hid his face, he changed his expression from relaxed to that of a homicidal maniac and back again.

"Its called our game face. We do it to try and stay normalish, which is really tough, but it kinda helps. Plus if we didn't, we probably would have killed each other by now." Masky commented quietly, turning back to his game of Crazy 8s with Hoodie.

"I guess that makes sense. But how am I going to explain you to my father?"

"Yes, (f/n), how?" Your father's voice rang in your ears. With everyone distracted by your questions and the TV, no one noticed him walk in the house.

"Oh um... Hi dad."

Silence endured for a moment, then BEN broke it.