Chapter 57

Ruth, Tom, and Elliott were gathered around Airomem as she drew in the dirt with the toe of her shoe, recreating the corridor where Horatius and Hannah were trapped.

"It bends a little there," said Ruth, bending over and adding an arc to a previously straight line. "And here there is a closet."

"Other than that, it's correct," said Elliott, and Tom nodded. "There are only two entrances, as you've drawn, both barricaded and defended by knives. Even if we could get past the barricade, we'd be cut to pieces. If they have the spine."

"From what you have told me, they have the food rations holed up in there as well," said Airomem, and she thought back to the wars between the Agrarians and the Aquarians. "Men are capable of much more evil than you would anticipate when they are defending their stomachs, and much more good when defending their hearts."

"Good or evil, it's still a barrier," said Elliott. "Negotiations are failing – I believe they are holding on to Horatius and Hannah to exchange for food in the future, as well as to ensure their own safety. But even more so, I fear it is an attempt at petty revenge for Segni's death, in which case, I fear for the life of my wife."

"These are the same people who assaulted me," said Airomem through clenched teeth, then pointed to the rooms she had drawn in the dirt. "We are past the point of negotiation. Now, where are they keeping them? And where are they keeping the food?"

Elliott turned and waved to a woman who had been waiting twenty feet away, her gaze turned towards the crowd still milling at the entrance of the corridor. With a start, she walked over, long bags under her eyes and scratches on her shins.

"Airomem, this is Angie; you may recognize her from your time in the gardens," said Elliott. "Angie was asleep in her bed in the corridor when the rest of the gardeners moved the food and hostages inside, and woke up to the current barricade situation. She escaped by crawling through the barricade – if you can call it an escape. Nean was all too happy to have one less mouth to feed. They practically drove Angie out."

"I see," said Airomem as Angie stood opposite her, her lip trembling, her face flushed red as a quick flash of recognition spread across Airomem's own expression. As she remembered that face from when she had fought off the gardeners with her dual stun guns, not participating in the mob but not helping Airomem and Horatius either. But standing to the side, watching and following. And certainly not asleep during the ordeal.

Airomem met her eyes and spoke slowly, her voice portraying no emotion.

"Quite unfortunate for you, Angie, though it is good you escaped. But now that you are here, that is all behind us. All that matters is what lies ahead. Can you point out on our map everything you know about inside the corridor?"

"Here," said Angie, her own voice with a slight warble and gesturing at the second room on the outer edge of the corridor, one that faced the stars, "is where they are keeping Horatius. And here," she pointed opposite, to a room that receded inside the ship so that it shared a wall with the edge of the gardens, "is where they are keeping the majority of food supplies. They keep that door shut tight, and distribute food from there twice a day."

"And the times that they open the doors?"

"Morning and night for food, and they don't really open the other ones. Nean wants to ensure there is no chance for escape."

"Thank you, Angie," Airomem said as the other woman looked down. "Your actions will help determine the fate of the ship."

"I know," she whispered, eyes watering.

"When we arrive," said Airomem, "you'll be remembered for this crucial information, as the reason why Horatius and Hannah were freed. If you remember anything else, Angie, do not hesitate to tell us. For now, that's all we needed, but we may have more questions later."

"Thank you, Airomem," she said, departing. "Thank you."

"Now," said Airomem, ignoring Elliott's questioning look, "we have two objectives. One, to rescue the hostages. And second, because everyone here looks so famished, is to recover much of your food. I'd rather everyone had energy for the next few hours. Here is what we are going to do."

Crouching down, she illustrated the plan in the dirt, drawing two lines to show the proposed movement. Elliott shook his head when she finished, speaking.

"The things you have shown us that are possible, things I never would have dreamed of, have changed everything."

"Let's hope," she said. "In one hour, we will act. That should give us enough time to prepare. During that time, Elliott, I need you to make it clear to your people to prepare to evacuate. Pair them up, ensure that your elderly and young have a strong counterpart. They should only bring the most essential of items. In addition, have your porters bring as much water as possible. Warn them that at any moment, the power may cut, and should that happen, they should reconvene just outside the entrance to the bridge. Make it clear that they should not enter that hallway without us, as it could mean death. And make it clear that anyone who waits here will be left behind. Be back here quickly, so we can start negations."

"Of course, we will start immediately. I thought you said we were finished with negotiations?"

"We are. I just need you to hold Nean's attention. Work some insults into them, get him and his people flustered. Tom?"

"Yes?" responded Tom, who had otherwise been silent, his eyes slightly narrowed as he tried to make sense of the diagram in the earth.

"Are you feeling strong today?"

"Tom always feels strong," he said, stretching his arms in front of him and looking down them.

"Good," said Airomem, holding her own arm next to his, the suit contrasting skin. "We're going to need it."

***

Don't forget to upvote and comment!!