I then realized I kind of didn't like this

When a person becomes a parent, a kind of realization occurs. This almost always happens with the first child being born, as this person has to make sure this little person is safe at all times. When this person fails to keep the little person safe, another realization occurs. Maybe I'm not good at this. That's what I felt, and I then realized I kind of didn't like this.

I had to feed him, which I find ridiculous, I had to make sure he got home safely, I had to do his homework, and I had to make sure he didn't overdose. (How the school never found out about his drug addiction, I never knew.) 

Then his parents got divorced. His mother was accused of assault toward the twins. This meant getting divorced and going to jail. Hunter's dad was never really home that much, so he had no clue Hunter was even involved with any form of a drug besides cough medication. I find this sad.

Tenth grade was weird. Hunter started coming home at reasonable times, and I felt like we were closer again. Of course, things weren't the same. Hunter was more into me acting like a servant to him. Once, he even tried to hit me, but I ran out of the house before he could. The next day I didn't go back. Instead, he showed up at my bedroom window the next night and apologized in his drunken way. I snuck out to walk him home. 

Because of my super duper luck, I got caught. My mom was waiting for me at my bed, which really freaked me out because she didn't even say anything when I climbed back through my window. She just grabbed my arm and pulled me onto the bed. I was not to go to school the next three days. She didn't want me to see anyone from school, especially Hunter. I was not to leave my room unless I had to go to the bathroom or the dining room for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Life kind of became hell.