Chapter 13 Pretending to be Zombies

EXT. MUSEUM OF ANTIQUITY - NIGHT

Jonathan and Juliette sneak out of some bushes and quickly head for Jonathan's convertible. Suddenly, a splinter group of the diseased mob comes around the side of the museum. They instantly bugs their eyes out, starts drooling, and begin CHANTING--- 

JULIETTE Anck-su-namun! Anck-su-namun!

JONATHAN Anck-su-namun! Anck-su-namun!

The crazed group runs past him and heads into the front doorsof the museum. Jonathan leaps into the convertible, fires it up and 180's it back over to the bushes. O'Connell, Evelyn, Daniels, Ardeth Bay and the Curator jump inside the car. Beni steps out of the museum and sees them.

  BENI Imhotep! IMHOTEP!

Imhotep looks out of the museum from the shattered upper windows just as the convertible PEELS OUT. O'Connell points a finger at Beni as they race past him.

O'CONNELL You're gonna get yours, pal!

Imhotep UNHINGES his jaw, his mouth stretches to an inhumansize, he lets out one of his horrific, primordial SHRIEKS. His disease-ridden disciples immediately begin pouring out of the front doors of the museum and chasing after the car.

EXT. BAZAAR - NIGHT

The convertible hauls ass down the narrow bazaar street.Crazies start jumping out of stalls and LEAPING onto thecar. O'Connell and the others fight them off, throwing themoverboard. More people JUMP on. Jonathan SWERVES the car, CRASHES through some stalls, knocking them off, but not before they manage to open the back door and YANK Daniels out. He TUMBLES across the pavement. Gets up SHOOTING. Backs into a corner, FIRING his pistol into the hideous rabble, killing several, keeping them at bay. His gun goes empty, CLICK! CLICK! CLICK! But the mob stays back, looking at him like rabid vultures. Daniels eyes them, filled with fear. The mob parts like the red sea as Imhotep walks through themand up to Daniels. Daniels whimpers in fear, tears pour down his cheeks. Then he gets an idea, reaches into his pocket, and pulls out his jewel encrusted SACRED CANOPIC JAR. He holds it out for Imhotep. Imhotep takes it and grins. Through his tears, Daniels grins back, hopeful that he'll be spared. WE CUT WIDE: Somewhere in the middle of the crazed, diseased mob, we hear Daniels give out A BLOOD CURDLING SCREAM ........

INT./EXT. CONVERTIBLE - STREETS - NIGHT

The convertible slowly motors down the narrow alleys. WE DOLLY across the hood of the car from Jonathan to Evelyn to O'Connell. Juliette, Ardeth Bay and the Curator are still in the back. All of them staring out the front windshield. Freaked-out. Then suddenly one of the hideous ghouls CRASHES through the windshield! Everybody SCREAMS. Jonathan hits the gas, loses control, the car SLAMS into a wall. O'Connell grabs Evelyn. 

O'CONNELL C'mon! C'mon! Let's go! Let's go!

They all leap out of the car. But the angry, festering mobquickly surrounds them. O'Connell quickly reaches into his gunny-sack, pulls out a stick of dynamite, then reaches into his pocket and pulls out a match. He looks around for a way to light it, then reaches over and strikes it across Ardeth Bay's stubbly face. Ardeth Bay YELPS. O'Connell holds the litmatch near the fuse. The crazed, CHANTING mob gives O'Connell a wide berth,s taring at him and the others with insane, bloodshot eyes. And then Imhotep steps through, --having fully regenerated, he now looks as young and handsome and muscular as he did the day he was buried alive. Evelyn stares at him.

EVELYN He's gorgeous.

O'Connell gives her a look, the match burns his fingers. He YELPS and throws it down, grabs another match and strikes it across Ardeth Bay's face again. Ardeth Bay YELPS and gives O'Connell a look to kill. The Curator shakes his head.

THE CURATOR He has consummated the curse, now all he need do is raise Anck-su-namun from the dead, then it will be the end of us, and the beginning for them.

Imhotep moves forward, heading right for them. O'Connell LIGHTS THE FUSE. Imhotep steps up to O'Connell and stops, watching the fuse burn down. it's a game of chicken. The tension mounts. The LIT FUSE is about to vanish inside the stick of dynamite, blowing it up, --when Evelyn leans forwardand blows it out. O'Connell exhales, but keeps his eyes on Imhotep, who extends his hand to Evelyn.

IMHOTEP Koontash dai na.

Beni steps through the swarming mass, translating.

BENI Take his hand and he will spare the others.

Evelyn hesitates, looks around at the huge, bloodthirstycrowd surrounding them, holding axes, picks and scimitars, waiting to pounce, then she looks at Imhotep, confident, powerful, invincible. Then she looks at O'Connell.

EVELYN Any bright ideas?

O'Connell talks through angry, grit teeth. 

O'CONNELL Sorry, fresh out.

Evelyn looks back at Imhotep, then starts to reach out totake his hand. Both O'Connell and Juliette move to stop her,--but Ardeth Bay grabs them both and holds them tight.

 O'CONNELL Don't do it, Evelyn.

EVELYN I have no choice.

Evelyn's trembling hand touches Imhotep's: His hand closes around hers. Nothing happens. Imhotep smiles.

IMHOTEP Keetah mi pharos, aja nilo, isirlan.

BENI Come with me, my princess. It is time to make you mine, forever.

Evelyn gives Beni a nasty look, correcting him--

EVELYN All eternity, idiot, 

JULIETTE Not important, Evy come back here! 

Then she looks at O'Connell and puts on her best face.

EVELYN You better think of something, because if he turns me into a mummy, your the first one I'm coming after.

O'Connell almost smiles 

O'CONNELL Got guts, lady.

EVELYN Yes, I know, and I'd like to keep them.

Imhotep suddenly notices something. He reaches forward and--RIPS THE KEY/BOX OUT OF JONATHAN'S UPPER JACKET POCKET.

JONATHAN Hey that's mine--!

Ardeth Bay holds Jonathan back. Imhotep pulls Evelyn away. O'Connell can't take it anymore, he tries to break free of Ardeth Bay's grip. 

O'CONNELL Evelyn!

The huge, powerful man holds him tight.

ARDETH BAY Be calm. There is still time. we can stop him yet.

The crowd parts for Imhotep and Evelyn. And then Imhotep stops and looks back at O'Connell.

IMHOTEP Pared oos.

Evelyn SCREAMS.

EVELYN NOOO!!

Beni smiles.

BENI Kill them.

Imhotep pulls her away. O'Connell breaks free of Ardeth Bay's grip and stumbles forward.

O'CONNELL EVELYN!

But the rabid vultures are already moving in for the kill. O'Connell quickly bends down, pulls open a CISTERN/MANHOLECOVER and shoves Jonathan down inside it, then jumps in after him. The Curator pushes Ardeth Bay towards the cistern hole.

CURATOR Go! Find a way! Kill the creature!

The Curator turns and throws himself at the mob as Ardeth Bay jumps down the cistern hole,  in order to catch Juliette as she crawls down into the hole. 

Leaving the mob to tear the Curator apart.