Chapter 14 'won't live through it? I wanna join!

Juliette POV

  INT. CATACOMBS - NIGHT 

Juliette, O'Connell, Jonathan and Ardeth Bay slosh their way down the watery catacomb, crazies pouring in behind them. Up ahead, a LIGHT suddenly shines in from another cistern hole, and then more of the infected crowd drop down, SCREECHING like rats.O'Connell jags right, pushing us ahead of him, he strikes a match off the wall, lights the nubby fuse on a stick of dynamite, throws it, and runs like hell.FIRE BLAST incinerates a bunch of crazies.

The sewer grate is kicked out of the wall. O'Connell, Jonathan, me and Ardeth climb out of the hole and into the ally. 

O'CONNELL We gotta get her back. 

JULIETTE I know we do! Nobody touches my sister like that and gets away with it!. 

JONATHAN Our sister Juli, our sister. 

JULIETTE Not important. 

O'Connell looks at Ardeth Bay,

O'CONNELL You know where he's taking her? 

ARDETH BAY Yes. To Hamunaptra. To perform the ritual.

Jonathan looks worried.

JONATHAN And what ritual would that be?

ARDETH BAY The ritual to bring the body of Anck-su-namun back to life.

JONATHAN And how does one do that?

ARDETH BAY By reading the Book Of The Dead. 

JONATHAN Oh yes, of course.

JULIETTE Ardeth I think you forgot the part about stabbing Evy.

ARDETH BAY Yes, I didn't want you to worry to much.

JULIETTE That's so sweet of you.

ARDETH BAY Anything for you!

'KISS'

JONATHAN Excuse me? Evy is in danger and you make out with a guy you don't even know?!

JULIETTE Jonathan, your ruining the moment, come on we need to find a way to cross the dessert very fast.

RICK Why?

Ardeth Bay looks at O'Connell,

ARDETH BAY Imhotep is now able to cross the desert with great haste.

Jonathan taps him on the shoulder, JONATHAN Begging your pardon, but I wasn't quite clear on that last part.

Ardeth Bay ignores him,

ARDETH BAY If he arrives before us, it will be too late.

JONATHAN Does he really intend to kill our sister?

O'Connell smiles

  O'CONNELL I know how to beat him to it.

And on that WE SMASH CUT TO-- THE ERFOUD DUNES - DAWN

Jonathan's bashed-in convertible steams it's way up to a set of semi-abandoned Quonset huts. A single WWI BIPLANE with R.A.F. INSIGNIAS sits in the sand beside them. A SIGN READS: HIS MAJESTY'S ROYAL AIR CORPEXT.

 QUONSET HUT - DUNES - MINUTES LATER

We stand before Winston Havlock, the massive dunes of Erfoud as our background.

WINSTON So what's your little problem got to do with His Majesty's Royal Air Corp?

O'CONNELL Not a god-damned thing.

Winston looks intrigued.

 WINSTON is it dangerous?

O'CONNELL You probably won't live through it,

This really interests him.

WINSTON By Jove, do you really think so?

JONATHAN Everybody else we've bumped into has died, why not you?

Winston nods his head, he's hooked. 

WINSTON So what's the challenge then?

O'CONNELL To save the damsel in distress, kill the bad guy and steal his treasure.

A slow grin spreads across Winston's face, then he gives us a snappy salute.

WINSTON Winston Havlock at your service, sir.. and Lady!

INT. BIPLANE - DAY

The WIND whips at Winston in the cockpit. O'Connell sits in the gunner's compartment. Jonathan is strapped spread-eagle across the left wing, Ardeth Bay and I are tied tight to the right. As I look up at him I can see that he has the time of his life. Suddenly a massive WALL OF SAND rises up out of the desert towards the plane. Winston looks over the side and sees what's coming. He laughs, throws the throttle, and puts the plane into a dive.

WINSTON Hang on, men!

The sandstorm behind us chases our plane. Getting closer and closer, about to engulf it. I looks back into the blinding sand and sees a GIANT FACE forming inside the sandstorm. It's Imhotep. Grinning. O'Connell grabs the Lewis machine-gun, cocks the bracket and FIRES, blasting away at Imhotep's giant face inside the sandstorm. Imhotep's face begins to laugh, then his jaw unhinges, his mouth opens wide, and he ENGULFS the plane.Winston blindly fights for control, elated. 

WINSTON We're going down!

The biplane SPINS inside the BLOWING SAND. Engines ROARING. Wind HOWLING. Jonathan and scream. Winston laughs LAUGHING.

  WINSTON Here I come, laddies!

We brace ourselves for the impact, as the giant face dies down and we smash over a dune, ROLLS OVER and CRASHES upside-down into another dune. The SAND SWIRLS as Rick falls out of the gunner's compartment. The left wing is jammed into the dune, Jonathan hangs upside down.

JONATHAN Excuse me. ...A little help would be useful. ...IF IT'S NOT TOO MUCH TROUBLE!!

O'Connell and I go to help Jonathan. Ardeth Bay stumbles over to the gunner's compartment and tears the Lewis gun off it's mount. He throws the machine-gun over one shoulder, acartridge belt over the other and staggers away. O'Connell Jonathan and I look into the cockpit. Winston Havlock is dead. A smile on his face. The plane suddenly starts to move, the sand sinks under our their feet, we quickly high-tail-it away. We make it to some rocks and look back. The biplane, with Winston Havlock inside, slidesaway over a dune. O'Connell and I give it a salute. The plane vanishes over the dune and into the SWIRLING SAND ...........

HAMUNAPTRA - DAY

We come down a ravine in the volcano and look out over the ruins of Hamunaptra.

O'CONNELL Okay, now what the hell does this Horus guy look like?

JULIETTE He has the face of a falcon and should be as big as the Anubis stature.. I think.

JONATHAN He also has pointy ears.

O'CONNELL Got it

HAMUNAPTRA STAIRWAY - DAY

Carrying TORCHES, we make our way down a long, winding, narrow staircase. Heading into the bowels of the necropolis. A passageway to hell.