07

Amber regarded the submarine with a certain amount of trepidation as the operatives filed into the Marianas facility dock. Built into the base of the facility itself, the dock spanned a circle fifty feet across that opened out into the depths of Marianas's oceans, lit by a series of globular floodlights in the ceiling. A dozen submersibles were anchored around the rim, locked in place by gangplanks: sleek prism-shaped craft studded with portholes, bobbing gently against the grey water. The one they currently approached had several station personnel scuttling around it, checking the outer airlocks and the engine pods, and loading the last of the Blink operatives' gear on board.

Walking alongside Brannigan, she glanced at the other girl and found her face to be a stoney mask, eyes locked forward. She looked like she was trying too hard not to look nervous. Despite herself, Amber felt a twinge of guilt at the way the new girl had been treated. She took a deep breath and spoke.

"So, how do you feel about going under water?" She looked over to find Brannigan giving her a quizzical look.

"What do you mean?" she asked almost accusingly.

Amber cracked a smile. "Just curious. Would be good to know where you're at before we go down there."

"A little water doesn't bother me. I grew up in a harsh environment." Brannigan's voice was firm, but there was still a slight undercurrent of nervousness in her words. Amber didn't doubt that the other operative had no fear of water, but she certainly had a fear of something. Thinking back to the mission on Titan Aquilla, Amber remembered how much it had meant to her when one of the veterans had offered to guide her – to look after her.

"I remember when I went on my first operation with these guys," she continued. "It's scary, but you'll get over it. All you have to do is keep your head. Stick close to me. I'll-,"

"Look," Brannigan interrupted sharply. "I appreciate what you're trying to do, but I don't need a shoulder to lean on. I got here on merit – I can stand on my own two feet. If you would just treat me as another operative, that'd be great." With that she quickened her pace and moved ahead, her body rigid.

Amber watched her go and felt her cheeks flush with embarrassment. Hekket moved forward into the place Brannigan had just vacated and smirked, looking at her mischievously.

"New friends?"

"Oh, belt up, Sawbones," Amber muttered, elbowing him in the ribs. He simply grinned.

When the operatives reached the sub's gangplank a willowy female in combat fatigues came bounding down to meet them. Her brown hair was tied up into a tight bun and she wore a set of gleaming tech-lenses across her eyes. Amber recognised the model. More than a visual aid, the lenses provided distance calculations, magnification variations and filters ranging from ultra-violet, infra-red, motion tracking and heat detection. Why she was wearing them at all times, Amber could only wonder at.

"Tech Sergeant Gabbi Lennox," she reeled off, shaking Darien's hand. "You call me 'Link', everyone here does. I'll be your helmswoman, technical support, communications hub and extra eye-in-the-sky – so to speak – while you're poking around down there." She made a sweeping gesture back towards the submarine. "So all aboard the Manitta-Vanna. She's a rowdy old girl but she's the fastest, toughest skimmer on the station. She can take the worst beating the seas of this little holiday destination can dish out."

"Save the sales pitch, Link," Tyndall called from the door of the submarine. "We're squared away. Our guests' equipment is stowed in the aft compartment." He glanced around for a moment. His brow furrowed and he sighed. "Where the hell is that professor?"