Ally

"What the hell happened?" Justin hissed. Peter flailed for Ivy's hand.

"N-nothing, I dunno, she just passed out-"

"We need to turn around," Dany whispered. His arm swung outward, pushing them all back the way they'd come. "Quiet.... Go...."

"No," Jonah protested, as Justin helped Peter pick up Ivy. An unneeded help, he found; Peter carried her over his shoulder with his good arm like a toddler who'd fallen asleep.

"Jonah," Dany warned. Justin turned to watch Jonah tear a hand out of Dany's and pull something from her pocket.

"Jesus-"

A familiar handgun glistened under the weak ceiling lights.

Justin gaped at it. "You took his gun?!"

"I'm surprised you didn't." Her fingers clasped the metal frame, and her forefinger settled precariously on the trigger guard.

"How did you-?"

"Shhh." Dany held a finger to his lips. Ella, Peter and Artie had paused halfway down the hall behind them, waiting for guidance. Dany opened his mouth, just as-

"STOP!"

Jonah's voice sounded oddly prepubescent. Gun up, but with her finger still on the guard, it was clear to anyone that she didn't plan to fire.

"Wait...." Dany mumbled. Justin saw it too; that curly hair was familiar....

"I'm unarmed," the man said tiredly. He held up his arms. Then he grimaced, and one hand found a purple bruise by his right hairline, where Ella's rolling pin had struck it. 

"Not to mention that I have a pretty big headache right now," he groaned. "I don't want to hurt any of you."

"Sure," Jonah sneered. "I'll believe that when-"

"Is she alright?"

He was looking behind Jonah at Ivy, who still drooped over Peter's shoulder.

"Does she look alright?!"

"Crap.... Well, okay. That's okay, I know where we-"

"We?!" Jonah cried. "There is no 'we,' okay? Who are you?"

"Not them. I think you'll like me better than them." He winced, patting the sore spot on his head.

"You have a very loud voice, you know."

Jonah frowned. "I've been told."

"Why?" Dany growled. "Why would you help us?"

"Something tells me 'goodwill' wouldn't convince you. So, I guess I'll say it's because you're my ticket out of this place." He looked behind him. 

"I don't have time to explain everything. Not here."

Jonah grimaced, but Justin thought he saw a flicker of relief as she lowered the gun. Dany backed off as well, shoulders relaxed, and the others stepped forward to join them.

The man stepped forward in kind, patting a hand on Dany and Justin's shoulders to guide them towards the left corridor. The feel of him made Justin flinch. Stray pats of uncertain footsteps grew into another drumroll as everyone packed together, moving in unison as though huddling for warmth against the cold, grey walls. Ella fell to the back, putting as much distance between herself and their new guide as possible. Guilt riddled her face. Justin's chest hurt just by looking at her.