Chapter 3

That night, I paced the floor of the Wheaton cabin. The moon hung at its apex, and the fire burned low in the hearth. I glanced through the loft floor to where Daniel, Lily, and Caleb were curled in their shared bed, bodies glowing faintly to my angelic eyes. All three were asleep, though Daniel snorted and rolled fitfully. Jersihod sat cross-legged on the floor next to them.

I said, “Oronis, do you know of an angel who forced a human to behave a certain way?”

“What? No.” Dim light spilled across his flaring wings. “Forcing humans to act a certain way is demon territory. We can’t do that. We only assist. Why would you ask?”

“No reason.”

Oronis cocked an eyebrow and settled back. His outline, too, glowed against the dark cabin wall. “You’d better be careful, Enael.”

“Don’t worry yourself over my affairs.” None of his concern.

I was being unfair to Kaspen about his more successful connection with his Ward and sensitive because I didn’t know what my true assignment was. A Guardian’s function is to calm or heighten a human’s emotions as the situation warrants. As a Catalyst, Miriam was tasked with attempting to seduce Daniel; as her Guardian, Kaspen was to assist her. The more lustful Miriam was, the more motivated she was to tempt Daniel. He would gain little from his chosen Incarnation Theme of Temptation if he wasn’t challenged.

I was frustrated at being unable to create the same emotional reaction in Daniel as Kaspen did in Miriam. I always struggled to connect with my Wards, though I couldn’t fathom why. None had listened to my suggestions beyond only what they wanted to hear or do, though not one had been as stubborn, willful, or angry as Daniel.

As I passed through the living room again, Kaspen appeared in front of me.

I jolted.

“Peace to you, Enael.” He extended his hand.

I glanced at Oronis, but he reclined against the wall with his eyes closed.

I returned Kaspen’s gesture. As our hands touched, warmth flooded my palm. I didn’t imagine the energy I felt before!

A flicker crossed Kaspen’s face. His eyes snapped to our hands. My arm trembled at his unreadable expression. Remember he’s your adversary. Daniel mustn’t give in to temptation.

We pulled our hands apart.

“Would you join me for a walk in the Garden?” asked Kaspen, inviting me to leave my sleeping Ward and travel to Heaven.

Oronis’ wings twitched.

“Yes,” I said before he could comment. I hailed an Attendant to watch over my sleeping Ward in my absence. She landed, her prismatic wings fluttering to a stop. Attendants are younger angels, one rank below Guardians, who assist with anything higher ranked angels require.

I pressed my palm against hers. “Peace to you.”

Moving between Earth and Heaven is effortless. Simply by concentrating on where I want to be, we can arrive there. I pictured the Garden, and the Wheaton cabin faded into watery colors, though Kaspen’s face never blurred. The tingling sensation that always comes with the transition coursed through me, and my mind spun until the greens, purples, and oranges swimming in front of me took shape into a blossoming bush in Heaven’s Garden.

The sky was brightening as morning in Heaven began. Kaspen gestured to the polished gray and white stone pathway. I nestled my hands into the small of my back, and we meandered.

Kaspen said, “I thought it proper to bring you here so I could apologize. You may have thought me rude earlier. I didn’t mean to appear aloof.” His white eyes widened and his eyebrows rose.