Chapter 5

Though I tried to think on my Ward, the image of Yasva’s wings bursting apart replayed in my memory again and again. A similar sight had haunted me for centuries, though I’d finally put it from my mind—until recently. If the Council found out I’d been present for another Fall, they couldn’t fault me for it. Could they? Finally, I immersed myself in Daniel’s thoughts, his unhappiness comforting me with its familiarity.

The monthly Market Day finally arrived. The Wheaton family packed the wagon and headed toward the inn. When the roof appeared, Daniel’s stomach somersaulted. He refused to look at the building as the wagon lumbered toward it. Turning into a giddy little girl, he groused.

The market spread across the foot of the hill. Beyond, the river churned high from yesterday’s rainstorm. A dozen families mingled and the din of bartering met our group as we rolled through the throng. Guardians hovered or reclined in wagons. Daniel’s nose perked up at the scent of baked goods, and he directed the ox to pull the wagon next to their neighbor, Ismene Taylor.

Lily climbed from the wagon, laid her rifle on the front seat, and waved to Ismene. While her husband unhitched the ox and led it to the water trough, she hurried to the back and pulled away the blankets to uncover two buckets of milk, fresh asparagus, broccoli, and bags of cornmeal she’d ground herself.

When Daniel returned, Ismene and Lily were sharing local gossip and Caleb busied himself arranging the vegetables. As Daniel picked up the buckets of milk and started up the hill toward the inn, Ismene tapped her fingers across her chin. She said, “Did you hear the new innkeeper is Protestant?” Though the turmoil over Maryland’s government was resolved before Daniel’s father was born, the discontent between the Catholic and Protestant populations continued.

Lily tossed her braid over her shoulder. “What new innkeeper?” Her face darkened as she looked toward Daniel, but he was halfway up the dirt path.

I hovered behind my Ward, too anxious to walk. Are the butterflies in his stomach affecting me? Or is it something else? I tucked my hair behind my ear and let out a breath.

As Daniel pushed open the door, a tinkling bell that hadn’t been there during the last visit rang. We stepped inside and two different things struck us.

“Saw you arrive,” Kaspen called to me from where he stood facing Miriam. She wasn’t wearing face-paint, and he was pinching her cheeks into a blush. When she lifted a jar onto a high shelf, he breathed on her nipples, much to my open-mouthed shock.

In my years of guarding, I’d never—never—never seen something like that before. I stood thunderstruck, watching as Miriam’s body responded. Oronis’ warning about only demons being able to force humans into doing what they wanted flashed through my mind. Was Kaspen crossing a line?

Miriam, oblivious to the angel primping her, lowered her arms and turned to Daniel. “Welcome back, sir!”

Her bodice hung unlaced, exposing more neck and bosom than when Daniel first met her. His eyes followed her freckles into the space between her breasts, and I pursed my lips. He inhaled sharply when he saw the results of Kaspen’s ministrations, hard nipples proclaiming Miriam was not wearing her corset. Her light brown hair spilled across her shoulders.

“M-Miriam,” Daniel stammered. His work boots thumped as he pushed the door shut and weaved his way through the tables adorned with vases holding yellow flowers. I tried to soothe his pounding heart. He quivered in nervousness and willed his groin motionless. Steady, I warned silently. I’d never seen him like this.

“Good to see you, Enael.” Kaspen extended a hand in greeting and flashed me a bright smile. Was his exuberance at seeing me overcompensation for letting me witness his devastation at Yasva’s Fall? When our palms pressed together, both Miriam’s and Daniel’s lust prickled across my skin.

Daniel held up a bucket of milk. “I’m here to trade for beer.”

Miriam’s eyes traced his biceps. “A full cask. I haven’t had milk in weeks. I’m certain my neighbors would trade me for some, but I’d rather drink yours.”

Daniel smiled.

Miriam turned her attention back to the shelf she was organizing. Daniel’s eyes traveled from the tops of her shoulders to her bare feet, and he imagined tracing a finger from her toes up her calves.

I had no idea Daniel could be so lecherous. “You’re supposed to resist the temptation,” I reminded him in a whisper. As he envisioned her knees and upper thighs in his mind’s eye, the beginnings of an erection pressed against his pants. “Daniel, control yourself.”

Lily and Caleb climbed the hill, and I sent a torrent of caution into Daniel’s mind. The bell hanging from the door rang as they entered and killed his arousal.

“Uh, Lily,” Daniel said, “this is Miriam. Os is in Jamestown with his grandkids. This is Miriam’s inn now. Miriam, this is my wife Lily.”

Lily’s eyes traveled across Miriam’s body, and the petite woman’s cheeks colored. She started to lift her hands to the bodice laces, but Kaspen moved behind her. My stomach clenched as he gazed at her hair and brushed a hand over her arm. His connection with her was so effortless. I couldn’t stop myself from being impressed.

No, Enael, I chastised myself. I had to stop admiring Kaspen if I was going to help Daniel keep to his Incarnation Plan. Even though he couldn’t hear my thoughts, the closer my emotions were to his, the stronger they became. If I allowed Kaspen to sway me, Daniel would have a hard time resisting Miriam’s temptations. Get yourself under control.

Miriam dropped her hands. “Pleased to meet you, ma’am.” She put a hand on her hip.

Daniel’s arousal spiked. I brushed a hand over his back to soothe him, but it did nothing to calm his heightened state. I bit my lip and pulled away from him.

“So you’re the new Protestant innkeeper,” Lily said.

Daniel’s rugged face darkened as he stepped forward, but he failed to keep his eyes from Miriam’s cleavage. “Caleb, help me carry the cask to the wagon.”

Caleb nodded, and the two followed Miriam to the storeroom to get the beer. Lily stared after them. When they returned, her eyes sought out Miriam’s.

“Have a lovely day,” said Miriam. She curtsied.

I started after the group, but Kaspen’s voice halted me. “Enael.” My wings clenched.

“Yes?” I turned and started to trace the muscles of his arms with my eyes but stopped myself.

“I look forward to seeing you again.” He hesitated as though he was going to say more but closed his mouth and smiled.

“And I as well.” If he wasn’t going to mention Yasva, neither was I. I lingered for just a moment before hurrying after the others.

“Huh, Os is gone,” said Caleb, huffing as he readjusted the cask. “I thought he’d be there forever.”

“Me, too, son,” said Daniel.

Lily snatched her braid and threw it over her shoulder. Her eyes narrowed and her pixie-like face twisted.

“Enael,” said Oronis, lifting an eyebrow.

“Don’t say it.” I flapped my wings in annoyance.

“Fine, but don’t say I didn’t warn you.”