Chapter 2

II

The news of the return of our most loved football player spread faster than the wildfire that destroyed an entire fleet. Not that I'd expected anything less. By the time lunch came around, everyone was smiling and staring at Wes.

At my table, where I sat with Sophia, James and a couple of our friends, the topic of discussion was the same.

"I cannot believe it," Ethan said. "No one knew where he was the entire summer. Not even Chad."

Chad Michaels was Wes's best friend. He, too, was on the football team and almost as good looking as Wes. Almost.

Neither of them were at lunch.

I pursed my lips ad scolded myself for thinking about him. I had better things to do than to think about the biggest flirt of the school.

"He's here now," Alison said. "Football season is saved."

While everyone was busy discussing the great comeback, James was busy jotting down ideas for the play. He wanted it to be an original, and he didn't find any of his old ideas appealing enough to stage as a high school play. He kept on scribbling on his notebook and striking it out.

"James," I whispered. He looked annoyed that I had broken his concentration. "I'll help you. Whatever you want, I'll do it."

"Great," He went back to work. I hadn't expected so much enthusiasm. Nice.

The rest of the classes went by fast. After school, Alison, James and I carpooled home. It was James's turn today but Alison drove. I sat in the backseat, looking out at the passing trees.

There was no tutoring centre today, so I could go home early.

We dropped Alison first and then I drove. Ultimately, James had to drive when I'd reached my house.

"You want to come in?" I asked, and he shook his head.

"I have so much to work on."

"There's like three months before we have to put the play on stage," I tried to reason.

"Do you know how much time it takes to settle on the storyline? I'll have to write the script at least seven times before I am satisfied. I'm sorry, Ayre, but we won't be able to hang out for the next three months."

I sighed and shut the car door. James was the king of over dramatic.

"Mom, I'm home," I yelled once I was inside.

"Hi, honey," my mother said from the kitchen. "How was your day?"

"Fine," I replied. "I'll go and get changed."

"Actually, honey, I need you in the kitchen." She said.

Puzzled, I walked into the kitchen to find her sitting at the kitchen island. She wasn't alone, though. Beside her sat a pretty lady, clad in a white summer dress, and white pumps. She had red lipstick on, and was smiling sweetly.

"Ayre," my mom said. "This is Holly Parker, our potential investor."

The wheels in my mind started running. My parents didn't have any investor before, they'd used up all their savings for the business. While it meant we were essentially broke, it also meant we owned one hundred percent of the business. All the profits would have been ours. Now, if this lady invested in our business, that meant we'd have to give some equity away to her. Did we really need her money? Do we want to scale the business if we aren't earning profits as of yet?