Chapter 4

IV

I was sure I heard Jessa muffle a cry. She'd been very hopeful till Wes offered to drive me. Now she was quietly throwing daggers at me. Wes didn't even spare her another glance. His eyes were fixed on me. Intense brown eyes, looking at me expectantly.

I wanted to say no, but I also wanted to say yes. My mind was pulling me in two very different directions.

James had picked me up today, and I was going to take a bus home.

"Sure," I breathed. The stupid side of my brain had won.

Wes smiled, picked his bag up before turning and walking out of the door.

"Oh my god," I heard Jessa whisper, but I ignored her and walked out as well.

We walked to the only car standing in the parking lot. It was a beauty. I didn't know much about cars, but I knew this one was expensive.

He opened the door for me and I slid inside without a word. What a freaking gentleman.

"Do you want to choose the music?" he asked.

My mouth hung open. I never got to choose the music. And here this guy who didn't even know my name until last night was letting me do it.

"Um, sure."

Geez. Did I not know any other word?

I picked up the AUX cord, connected it to my phone and started playing an old song that I loved. It wasn't a peppy dance song, it was one that always calmed me.

Wes nodded his head to the rhythm while driving. He also looked at his watch.

"How was your first day?" I asked. The song had made me comfortable, just like I thought it would.

"It was okay, I guess." He answered. "I mean no one complained and I don't think I taught the wrong thing. You seemed very engrossed in teaching."

"I like teaching," I admitted. "And the feeling you get when you help someone understand the thing they are struggling with, it's everything."

We were near the town square. Wes looked at his watch again.

"You want to get some coffee?" he asked when we passed The Coffee Hour.

"Yes! I love coffee." I declared.

He parked the car and I got out just as he did.

"Did you know this is the oldest coffee place in town?" I shared the useless knowledge I had acquired over the thousand hours I spent on the internet. "It is also the best."

"I did not know that." He admitted. "I am not too sure about this place being the best though. I mean, have you tried Beverly's Beverages?"

"James took me there once."

I reached for the door handle and opened it for him.

"James is your boyfriend?" Wes raised an eyebrow.

James, my boyfriend? Yeah, right.

"James does swing this way." I said. It wasn't a secret anymore. His parents knew, and though they weren't very happy at first, they were beginning to accept him.

I looked at the lady behind the counter, Sosie, and said, "The regular please, to go." I glanced at Wes who was looking at the menu board. "Make that two please." I turned to Wes, "I ordered the best coffee for you. Try this and then tell me if Beverly's is better or not."