Chapter 17

Lewis's POV

Josef and I sat in the kitchen, the breakfast before me warm and delicious. Josef sat next to me, his eyebrows furrowed as he frowned. "What's wrong?" I asked between mouthfuls.

"Hmm... Well, we had an intruder spotted by the western pack boundaries."

"Are you okay?!"

"Yeah. Wasn't a rogue. Might have been another Alpha, or his Beta, judging from the size."

I froze. Could it... "W-what were they doing at the border?"

"Could be anything, really. A search for a mate, hope for a treaty, a death threat."

A search for a mate... Silas? Would he come here? After all this time? No. He can't. I've made a life here. He can't take that. He-

"Lewis?"

I looked up at Josef's worried face. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing." I leaned into his chest, loving his scent. 

"Are you sure? You seem kinda... Afraid."

I looked up at him. "Truthfully? I don't know. That wolf you saw? I... I keep thinking it's him - Silas, I mean."

Josef growled, pulling me closer. "Mine!!" Josef knew the whole story. I told him everything. About the abuse, about Silas, about the child. He accepted it. And he makes me happy. I leaned against him, enjoying his warmth and the sparks that flew across my vision.

Suddenly, my head tilted back, my mouth captured in a gentle kiss. I parted my lips, allowing his tongue to slip in. My eyes drifted shut, just as the door slammed open. We jumped apart, the plates clattering.

The Luna panted heavily, his face pale. Josef held me close and spoke. "Jamie? What's going on?"

The Luna looked around, his eyes filled with panic and... Sadness? I don't know what it was, but he continued to pant as Josef came over, holding him up. "Jamie, calm down. I understand you have something to say, but we don't know what it is unless you tell us."

The Luna took another deep breath and I handed him a glass of water, watching him drain the glass. He finally calmed down enough for us to hear him.

"L-Lewis... I think... You're gonna want to see this."

I looked up at Josef who nodded and helped me up. Lacing our hands together, we followed the Luna to the Alpha's office. Josef was the first to speak. "Jordan! What's going on?!" The Alpha only turned, leading my gaze to the window.

I gasped, recognizing the figure in the window. "S-... Silas?!"