Chapter 15

Chapter 15

"I don't understand the reason for this right now! You honestly come to the hospital while I'm trying to make sure my family is ok and question me! Like I...I don't get it". Stef was pacing back and forth in the waiting room. After the shooting at the school of course the Feds show up to question why she had to fire her gun. It was routine but highly inconvenient.

Stef couldn't stop replaying the scene of shots being fired and Lena and Mariana covered with blood and on the ground.

"Foster, we get that. It's unfortunate what your family has gone through today but we have to finish up these questions before we can let you go. A person died today and we can't take that lightly."

"Ok but it was a clean shot. A defensive shot at that. One that I had the go ahead for".

"What was the need for two shots?"

"He had a gun, inside a school let me remind you. The first shot he was about to kill someone and he wasn't backing down. I thought that first shot would have been enough to stop him. But then he fired his weapon and shot someone. With what was at stake, not shooting again would have been lethal. He was clearly still capable of hurting others so I fired again."

"At stake as in your girlfriend and your daughter. Both of whom, the targets of this whole thing."

"As in two civilians who happen to be connected to me. A woman and a child I might add. And one of which was shot as well and you are keeping me from checking on them."

"You see the problem is you didn't just shoot to stop him. Foster, you shot him in the head. It was personal, we all know there's no recovering from that shot".

Stef stopped walking and looked both of them in the face. "I was doing my job. And my next job is making sure that my family is ok"

........................................................................................................

Lena was finally out of surgery and awake. She was just in a bit of pain. When Mason fell, she knew that his muscles would pull the trigger. And she knew that the gun would be just level with Mariana so she tried to shield her the best she could. Resulting in the bullet shooting right into her thigh. Luckily the bullet missed her artery but the fragments did spread shredding her muscle in that area. The surgeons were able to remove each fragment but walking is going to be difficult for her and she is going to need a bit of physical therapy.

Mariana also had to see a doctor just to make sure that she wasn't shot or hurt in anyway. But right after that Mariana and Mike were right there waiting for Lena to come back. Since that moment Mariana hasn't even thought of leaving Lena's bed. Lena tried talking to her, but she wouldn't say anything besides a couple simple yes and nos. She just laid there cuddling close quietly shedding tears watching the hospital tv.

Lena instantly knew that now more than ever they needed to bring Mariana to see a therapist. She has been through so much in her short life, and she just wanted her to be able to be herself.

Interrupting her thoughts, Stef came walking through the door; relief written all over her face. Seeing them both for the first time since they were taken away in the ambulance Stef wanted to cry but she knew she had to be strong.

She ran over and hugged both of her girls happy that they are alive and that everything would be ok.

"Where were you", Lena asked feeling more relaxed and safer than she realized.

"Feds... they just had questions about the shooting. But everything is going to be fine, love. No need to worry".

"Is he..."