Chapter 8

Maybe it was the sweet call of Sebastian that echoed through his dreams at night, maybe it was the soft numbness of a nightmare-less night, maybe it was the distraction of no longer needing tranquilizers when his thoughts plagued his sleep, or maybe it was simply that Ciel was getting better.

He wasn't sure why, but he felt a new feeling, almost a warm feeling inside of him every morning. He knew that he wasn't cured, and that this fix was probably temporary. It had happened in the past, Ciel would go a week, maybe two, without any nightmares or panic attacks and the doctor's would proclaim him as a "medical miracle." Yet then he would inevitably return to his previous state, insanity so strong, even the people around him were tainted by it.

But beyond all this, Ciel was sort of happy. Well, not happy per-say, but not sad, just...a calm sort of grey.

Ciel heard a light knock on his door. He wearily sat up on his bed, stretching his arms out in front of him with a quiet yawn.

"Ciel?" the intruder asked, who Ciel at once recognized as Sebastian.

"Mmm..." Ciel murmured, his goodnight sleep still tugging at his body, lulling him to lie back down.

Sebastian chuckled. "Seems like you got plenty of rest." He teased.

Ciel nodded his head. "Yes... it would seem so..."

Sebastian walked up to the side of Ciel's bed and handed him his routinely breakfast. "Scones or biscuits?" he asked, holding aside the trays.

Ciel took the main platter and replied "Scones."

After Ciel ate his breakfast and talked to Sebastian about the day's affairs, he got up to change into his clothes.

Sebastian stepped out of the room with an "I'll see you around lunchtime Ciel." And before he could stop himself, he stooped down to place a gentle kiss to the top of Ciel's forehead.

Once Sebastian exited the room, Ciel's lips pulled into a small smile. He then slipped on his clothes, and exited the room with his blind cane, trying to hide his smile all the way to the garden.

Ciel hadn't expected to meet another kid his age that was interested in him. He hadn't even expected the "Hey... you're Ciel right? I'm Alois."

Ciel numbly shook his head. He then turned to face the voice. And hesitatingly, he said quietly "Uhm yeah. I'm Ciel."

Alois narrowed his eyes when he saw the bandages wrapped around Ciel's head. With a silly grin he said "What are you doing wearing those bandages wrapped around your head like that silly?"

Ciel flinched. "I uh..." he began. "I'm-I'm blind..."

Ciel almost expected Alois to leave with an "I feel so sorry for you that's horrible. How do you live?" or a "You poor poor thing", like he's gotten before. But instead, Alois frowned a bit, and then plopped down right next to Ciel in the grass.

"Oh well I didn't know that, I'm sorry. But why are you here by yourself? You're too awfully cute to be alone like this!"

Ciel face immediately flushed pink at being called cute. "I am not..." he quietly muttered.

Alois cocked his head. "Cute or alone?" Alois paused then finished. "Well at least I can say that you're no longer one of those things."

"What?" Ciel asked.

"Alone you dork! I'm here now duh." Alois chirped.

Ciel bit his lip.

This kid... he thought to himself.