Chapter Four

Clare awoke to silence. She felt the stillness of absence beside her long before her eyelids had opened. It was dawn by the time she had awoke to an empty tent and only when she had stepped foot outside the tent did she curse loudly, realizing that she was alone.

"Those bastards of men," she hissed, "They left me here alone as they went on their adventure. Curse my luck."

She must have been so exhausted that she slept through the shuffling of noises as they had set foot for their quest. Clare went back into her tent and changed into her clothes. After she had dressed she glanced to the direction of her husband's clothes and that was when an idea struck her: she would disguise herself as a man and catch up to them.

"They might be able to fool me," she whispered to herself with a widening smile, "but surely I can fool them again too."

And with that final phrase, she put on a pair of slacks and a loose fitting white shirt, a fur coat with a hood and some of her own boots. But that would not hide her feminine features of a woman, and so she caked her face with mud. At last, her masterpiece was complete.

Clare went to look at her reflection from a metal plate left over from someone's dinner the night before, and she grinned wider at how masculine she looked, despite the clothes not fitting small form.

She looked around her and grunted at the lack of horses, or mules she should say, that they had left her. Frowning at the two mules, she hopped onto the stealthier one and took off, hoping to catch up with them if the mule trotted at full speed. Though, she doubted she would.

Clare had almost left their campground until a man appeared in front of her. She gasped but then quickly recognized the man to be Torsten.

"Boy!" He yelled, "Why have you not left with the others?"

"I, uh," Clare hesitantly replied but then gathered her courage, "I slept in."

"Aye, well you better hurry because Roald left with the others only an hour ago."

"And what about you?" She asked, "Why you have you not gone with them."

Torsten laughed loudly, "Because I am to watch the crazy wife!"

Clare bit her tongue at the insult and saved herself the trouble of defending herself. Then Torsten looked cautiously at her and she could have sworn he recognized her dirty face despite her hood up and men's attire, "Say," he said slowly, "Why are you riding a mule?"

She let out a relieving sigh, "It was all that was left."

"Then take my horse!"

She looked around warily, "where is your horse?"

"Up that way!" He pointed from the direction he had come from, "I had to hide it from Clare. Roald had said she would escape on it to follow him if she could."

"Aye," Clare agreed, coughing deeply as she tried not to laugh. Torsten was much too gullible, "Well I thank you."

"Anything for a lad!"

Torsten began to walk away after that, but not before turning around and asking, "Did you by any chance see the girl?"

"Aye," she said deeply, "She was still asleep!"

"All is great then. May Thor protect you and the others!"

Clare smiled shortly at him and then handed Torsten the mule after he had offered to put it back. Once Torsten had walked away, she bolted to his horse.

Torsten's horse was large and dark brown with hazel eyes. It was muscular and there was no doubt in her mind that he was a strong and powerful horse. He would do well in catching up to the others.

Without another thought and without sparing even one glance in the direction of the camp, she untied his horse, got onto its back, and took off into the distance.

"This is too easy." She said, not knowing what fate had in store for her.