Chapter 3

After many weeks, and many more Friday night visits to the pub with Bressie, Niall finally accepted the fact that Harry just doesn't want to go with him. Niall should expect it, but it sometimes hurt when Harry would use the same excuse.

"I wouldn't want to intrude." He'd say every time, which Niall thinks is completely ridiculous. Harry could never intrude or annoy him, and he'd actually prefer if he'd come with him. Bressie, and many of his other friends, seem to have a much higher alcohol tolerance than Niall does, so whenever they are only tipsy and want to go a few more rounds, Niall would have already reached his peak.

Niall started saying to Harry after the third or fourth night out that he'd really like him to come, just because he doesn't want to keep getting shit-faced, Harry would still say no. Luckily, Niall remembered to ask Bressie to look out for him and stop him if he seemed to be getting a bit too hammered.

The Friday night pub visits had become a regular event, at least for Niall and Bressie. Other friends would tag along if they didn't have anything else to do, but most times, it seems like it was just those two who'd make it there every time.

Christmas was nearing, and tonight would be the last night they'd go out together, seeing as a long break would be starting and most students would be going off to stay with their families. Niall wouldn't leave, obviously, as he already has a home here, with Harry, and his family would actually be flying over to visit him for a few days.

When Niall walked into the pub, most people seemed to have the same idea: get shit-faced the night before break starts to celebrate the holidays with their friends at the school before they all went their separate ways. The pub was packed to the brim, and there was even a line to get in. Niall had regretted not bringing a jacket, and wished even more that Harry would have been there, since he seems to have an entire closet in the back of his car, and would always have something just in case something like this were to happen.

When Niall finally did get into the building - warm due to the heating, and the massive number of people who were present - it took him a bit to find him friends. He could understand why it would have been hard to see people like Conor, who was just a few inches taller than him, but to not see Bressie was concerning. The man is the tallest person he knows, towering quite a few inches above Harry, even. Somehow, though, his friends must have been keeping an eye on the door and called him over fairly quickly.

After squeezing between numerous people and muttering quite a few apologies, Niall finally found himself standing near his friends, who were able to reserve him a spot at the bar. He thanked them as he took a seat, nodding at Bressie when he offered to get him a drink. Since they had been coming here for quite a while, they had gotten to know the barkeep and were able to get their drinks fairly quickly, compared to how it must be for all the newbies and rare visitors.

"Hmm, Niall, we were hoping that your boyfriend would come with you this time!" Sean, one of the people he had met in the library, had commented. "Since it's the holidays and all that."

Niall waited for his beer to arrive and took a sip before replying, "Oh, I didn't offer this time. He wasn't home by the time I left, and he called me right when I got here and told me he'd be home pretty late, due to traffic."

"Mm, and doesn't that make you concerned?" Laura asked. Niall furrowed his eyebrows. "If my boyfriend didn't come home at the normal time and didn't tell me, I would have been so worried."

"Nah, he's been home late before." Niall took a few gulps from his cup, offering a bit to Conor since his cup is already empty and he's waiting for the bartender to come over to request a refill.

"I'd still be worried," Laura shrugs, laughing when Conor takes a bigger gulp than Niall thought he would. "With how cold it is out there, and with so many people on the road now because of the holidays and such."