Chapter XII

"It's not much but it's home," Mike says as he unlocks the door and the four step in to a small, two bedroom apartment. To the right is the kitchen, with a bar table separating it from the living room to the left. Not much made the kitchen appealable; a two-heater stove, a few cabinets, and a small fridge plastered with magnets, notes, and a few pictures. The living room didn't have much either; a black leather couch, a couple coffee tables on each side of the couch, a large shelf filled with movies and books, a large flat screen TV, and a few lamps. Down the hallway in the center stood three doors; one in the middle and one on each side. Both windows behind the TV have been taped up with black tape and cardboard to block out any light from the inside. Rain could be heard pounding heavily against the glass and thunder softly echoing.

"To the right is the only bedroom. You two are welcome to stay there. In the closet to the left, bottom drawer is a few shirts left by my ex. You two are welcome to take them. Hope they fit. The middle door is the bathroom. We got plenty of baby wipes and toilet paper so help yourself with that. Sergeant and I will prepare dinner and we can talk then after you two have cleaned up okay?"

The two sisters thanked him and after retrieving said shirts they both enter the bathroom and lock the door.

In the mean time, Mike and Jenkins began taking off their drenched armor and jackets and hanging them up and leaning them against the wall near the door. On the coffee table to the left and right they placed all of their weapons and while Mike opened one of the cabinets and retrieved a couple cans of soup, Jenkins began unpacking his loot from the Wallmart.

"Did you have any success on your search Jenkins?" Mike asks as he sets a kettle besides a large pot and pours two bottles worth of water into the kettle.

"Yes Sergeant. The Police Station was crowded with Z's so I had to lure them outside. Inside I had to kill a few turned members of Strike Team Zulu. I also found another journal from Private Egbert," Jenkins says as he pulls a small note book from his pack with the name 'Egbert' sloppily written on the green cover in black ink.

"Very nice. What does it say?" Mike asks as he takes a seat besides Jenkins and leans back against the wooden chair.

"Not much. He writes that they are down to four and low on supplies. They still got the chip and will be heading to Fenway soon. Then Egbert rants again about how the world has fallen apart even before the outbreak and that he will leave behind such journals in hopes someone could pass along his tales. It cuts off half way as he begins talking about the chip they have. Looks like that was the moment they got overrun,"

"So the wild goose chase then leads us back to Fenway?" Mike asks, his relaxed expression now gone.

"I'm afraid so," Jenkins said as he too has a look of frustration on his face.

"Goddammit," Mike cursed as he takes the whistling kettle from the stove and pours its steaming content into two mugs snatched from one of the cabinets. He turns to the bathroom as its door opens and the two sisters step out, the dirt and grime removed from their bodies and both holding their dirty shirt.

"You two can just leave those in the bathroom," Jenkins said as the sisters made a motion of where to put their dirty clothes.

"Tea?" Mike asks as he motions his hand to the steaming mugs. They both nod and sit down at the bar table. After placing a small box of mixed tea Mike hands both girls and Jenkins a steaming mug and snatches himself a pouch of 'Green Tea with Lemon'.

"You two look much better now all cleaned up. How do you feel?" Jenkins asks as he places a pouch of 'Herbal Tea' into his mug and began tugging the bag up and down in the hot water.