Chapter III

Boston, Massachusetts 9:28 am
7 hours after the outbreak

The city of Boston lies in utter chaos. Apartment complexes lie in rubble with a burning plane wreckage lying in the center. The streets, once buzzing with life via cars, pedestrians, bicyclists, and trucks now are buzzing with hundreds of moaning undead, overrun barricades consisting of makeshift fences and sandbags, and deserted vehicles. The ungodly amount of bullet shells, torn flesh and blood, and fallen undead also lie everywhere. The roar of helicopters made the hundreds of infected look up as six UH-60 Blackhawks flew over them. Aboard each helicopter stood soldiers in black riot armor wielding suppressed Scar-L's. One of the soldiers, Mike, looks over the lost streets in dismay as he hears a voice speak over the built in radio in his gas mask helmet. 

"We got assist with the 74th Infantry in setting up a F.O.B at Fenway. Now they have it already set up and we can't draw in the local undead so the twenty of you will be dropped roughly a mile from the stadium" Lieutenant Binks said, obvious hints of fear and hopelessness in his voice. 

"What of the rest of the Reco Teams sir?" a Specialist Winston asks.

"They will assist in the evac of the Heartfield Medical Clinic. Now I'm leaving Staff Sergeant Robinson in charge. Reco-2 and 3 will head to Fenway. Reco-1 will assist at the medical clinic" 

"Yes sir" responded everyone almost in unison.

"Sergeant," Binks says as he turns towards Mike.

"Yes sir?"

"Like I said, you'll be in charge. The 74th are already at Fenway. Take the team there, assist the 74th as best as you can and then just follow the instructions from whoever is the OIC"

"Roger sir" Mike says, nodding as the helicopters stop over a fairly empty street consisting of red bricked houses.

"That's your drop point go go go go!" Binks shouted as a thick rope gets lowered and five soldiers including Mike along with fifteen others descend into the fairly empty streets. Just as the helicopters left and the twenty soldiers grouped up did they hear the familiar moaning the infected make. 

From breached homes and alleys, appeared dozens of horribly disfigured men, women, and children.

"Everybody aim at a direction, backs to each other and fire" Mike shouted. Sure enough, all twenty soldiers faced each direction, their backs against each other, and began firing. It didn't take long, and around the twenty soldiers lie dozens of fallen undead.

Uncomfortable silence fills the streets with the exception of rustling leaves and a soft gust of wind.

"Fuck it's quiet" Private Johnson remarks as the soldiers step over the fallen infected and make their way down the street.

"Good. Makes our job easier" Specialist Barcel snarls as they reach the end of the avenue.

"Doesn't that mean though that Boston has fallen?" Private First Class Bluster asks as he and some of the other soldiers looked around at the deserted vehicles, broken into homes, the rising smoke, and the fallen corpses around them.

"I don't know Bluster. But think of that. We have an objective now, that's what we should focus on. Sergeant Pierce you got the map, which way?" Mike asks as he looks around at the end of the avenue. 

"Turn left here to Boylston Street, go around the Fenway Garden Society, and then it's a quick right" Pierce says, holding a small GPS.

"Alright lets go."

They stepped over fallen sandbag barricades and began passing a street filled with fallen corpses everywhere. Still though they heard nothing. Not even gunfire.