II

Itachi's birthday passed on, as well as Mio's, and even Sakura's and Sasuke's.

Itachi graduated from the Academy, and Mio barely even saw him anymore.

But when they did see each other, Itachi felt normal, a always, while Mio felt like a gap is forming between them, growing in each passing moment, and eventually started making excuses to not meet up with him.

Itachi's birthday passed by again, and Mio sat in her house.

Mio's birthday passed by, and Itachi was not in the village.

When Mio got a perfect score on a test, she had to physically stop herself from running to Itachi's house.

When Itachi learned to use the Sharingan for the very first time, it was not his father he wished to see, but his pink haired friend.

As Itachi's birthday neared again, Mio decided to grow up, and went to wait near his house.

She sat there for what felt like days, and the sun left and was replaced by starts and moon when the boy finally appeared.

"Mio." He said, surprised. He did sense her chakra, but dismissed the thought.

But now, she was sitting right where they were sitting almost two years earlier.

"Hi Weasel." She greeted, grinning cheekily.

He stopped the smile that threatened to form, "it's been a while."

"Yeah," Mio looked down, ashamed, "Uh, I know I've been a total poo- head," Itachi chuckled at that, "but I wanted to see you."

The statement floated in the air for a while, no one saying a word.

"I wanted to see you too." Itachi admitted, sitting next to her. "Why did you..." He trailed off, not having the words to explain.

"I..." Mio bit her lip, "I felt like there is a gap between us, and there is no way to find a bridge so I can get to you again."

"Why find?" Itachi wondered.

Mio raised her green eyes to him, filled with sadness.

"Let's build one." He offered, taking her hand in his. "Why don't we go eat something?"

----

Two months later, Mio decided to try her luck in the graduation exams.

Itachi and her grew gradually closer again, but still felt this uncomfortable, awkward feeling with each other.

One day, merely two days before the final exam, Itachi and Mio sat under a tree, talking calmly.

Mio's naive words made Itachi chuckle more than he did in the past year.

"Don't laugh at me!" Mio frowned, "I am serious, there is a whole different world beyong the seas we sail at! It is different than ours in so many aspects, and it is amazing!" Mio's eyes stared dreamily at the air, as she kept talking about an imaginary world that had strange devices and people in it.

"Mio," Itachi laughed, resting his hand on her shoulder, "this world is beautiful, but not real."

"You're not real!" Mio decided angrily, turning away from her friend.

Itachi stared at her pink hair, confused.

A sudden crashing voice, turned their attention from their arguement, and their heads snapped to a nearby tree.

Mio gasped, running to the fallen bird. Itachi followed her almost immediatley, and both sat next to the injured bird.

"What do we do?" Mio asked, and the panic in her voice rised.

Itachi stared at her for a second, what do we do?

"Take her to the vet," he decided, trying to pick the little bird in his hands.

The bird let out a scared squeak, and Mio started stroking her feathers, trying to relax the yellow creature.

"I'll take her," Mio offered with a smile, picking her up and standing up.

Itachi stood up as well, and started walking to where he knew the vet is.

"Itachi?" Mio asked just before he opened the door.

"What?" He asked, turning around to her.

Mio grinned her widest grin yet, "I really missed you."