III

The teacher smiled at Mio, handing her a Forehead Protector.

Mio's smile was wide as she met her family outside; but it got even bigger when she saw a black haired sitting on a swing with a little creature in his hands.

"Itachi!" She called, delighted. "I thought you were on a mission?"

"Finished it early, so I figured I should come to see you." Itachi smiled, standing up. The bird in his hands flew away. Mio and him exchanged a delighted glance. "So, you're a ninja?"

Mio smiled even bigger- if it was possible- and she hugged him. As surprised as he was, he hugged her back, smiling awkwardly.

"Want to see a movie or hang out somewhere?" he asked in a whisper.

The two took a step away from each other.

"Uh, my family is taking me to celebrate, so..." Itachi nodded, understanding. He felt disappointment that he wouldn't celebrate with her. "At the evening?"

"Sure." he smiled lightly, relived. He briefly wondered about this feeling, but he walked towards Mio's parents.

The family talked with Itachi for few minutes before bidding farewell.

"He's a good guy," Mio's mother said.

"Your kids will be adorable," Her father commented with a smirk.

Mio blushed, "DAD!"

Sakura looked up at her sister. "Sissy has a boyfwiend!"

"I DON'T! SHUT UP!"

The small family laughed. Mio glanced to Itachi that now talked to a smaller version of himself; Sasuke.

Sakura followed her gaze, and her eyes locked with the smaller Uchiha's.

"Sissy, who is that?" Sakura asked, looking up to her sister. She trusted and admired her sister more than anyone.

"That's Sasuke, Itachi's little brother." Mio thought for a moment. "I think he is about your age."

Sakura looked at her sister, Itachi and Sasuke.

If she loved and did the same things as her sister, she would be like her, right? And besides, he looked fairly good.

"Is he going to be a ninja too?" She wondered as the two left- they both waved goodbye to Mio.

"Yeah," Mio smiled, "Itachi is already helping him."

"Mommy, Daddy. I don't want to be a nurse anymore. I'm gonna be a ninja!"

"Way to go!" Mio cheered, holding her hand to a high-five with Sakura. Sakura hugged her legs instead. "Oh, okay."

***

Mio was exhuasted, at the very least, but never the less; she met up with Itachi at the park.

"Itachi-Kun!" She ran to him, she was usually first to arrive. She checked her clock; he was early. He was never early. "Is something wrong?"

"Nothing. I just... Realized that it's been six years since we've met."

"Oh, really?"

Mio though back. Was it two or three years that they didn't speak?

Has it really been six years since that first day at the Academy?

"Guess time flies fast when you're having fun," she shrugged.

"Mio?" Itachi asked as they started walking.

"Mm?" she wondered.

"I kind of lied to you." She raised an eyebrow. "I am part of the ANBU. I've been for mot of the time since we became friends again."

It hit Mio hard in the guts.

Everytime he said he left for a mission, she figured they are not too dangerous. ANBU does the hardest missions, no?

"Why are you telling me now?"

"Just... Your birthday is in a week, and I'll be at a mission. I though you deserved to know the real reason."

"You won't be here?"

"I'm sorry. I really am. I was promoted to a captain-" Mio gasped.

"You're thirteen!"

"I-"

"See you around," Mio said shakily.

He is thirteen, for God sake. Don't they think it's dangerous?

Itachi stared at her retreating figure sadly as the sunset turned red.

He made her leave again.