Chapter 37

'Tai?' Nel'os called over the bond gently, waking him from his muses about Herymi. 'The village elders are coming to greet us,' he said teasingly, knowing Tai'ray had been lost in his thoughts.

Tai'ray shook himself, starling Eyeri slightly before flying to greet the elder men of the village, surprised to meet a woman with them as well. Few females had settled this far out, and even fewer stayed past their prime. "Hold on, Eyeri," Tai'ray warned gently before flying with them. A greeting flight dance, simple but traditional when the Winglord was staying somewhere which was not Navat. Eyeri held on through the dance, pressing close to Tai'ray but not smelling particularly scared of what was occurring.

They landed and Tai'ray let the boy slide off his back, taking Eyeri by the hand before anyone could shoo him away. Eyeri looked over at where the other had landed, Tai'ray's mates and son being led away to guest quarters. Ryraso looked back over, but Tai'ray just tugged the boy with him to greet and talk with the village Guardian, the head of the elders and person responsible for the village... They were still close enough to the border that Ryraso could get ideas if Tai'ray wasn't careful.

"Winglord," The guardian of the town greeted warmly, bowing respectfully, before showing him the way to a private room to talk in. "You honour us with your presence and have our gratitude for bringing out lost lamb back, if only for a night." He was speaking in human tongues which surprised Eyeri slightly. He had been expecting to be unaware of everything going on around him.

"It will be a pleasure to sleep among the song of the link again, Guardian Fl'ex" Tai'ray smiled softly, taking in the man who had raised Herymi from a boy to a man. "I'm sorry I let O'chuter steal Herymi away before greeting you first."

Guardian Fl'ex was clearly past the prime of his life, likely in his last quarter of seasons. The guardian's black hair was greying and his feathers were not shiny, but he stood tall with a straight back. A man who had served his town proud and was, more importantly, a good man. Fl'ex was the type the royal triad approved off, someone who would carry his role until he physically couldn't anymore.

Fl'ex's warm smile turned sad for a moment at the mention of O'chuter. "To be fair Winglord, they are the ones who need to see him the most. I have missed my son, Winglord. That doesn't mean I am not as much to blame for Herymi's leaving, once I knew what was occurring I should have spoken to the boy about it, but my duties at the time..." he trailed off. "Still. You have returned him to us and while Herymi lives in Navat, I can at least visit and see him then if there is no time tonight," Fl'ex finished with a broader smile.

"I understand the issues that arise between guardianship of a child and guardianship of a people," Tai'ray smiled back, glancing over his shoulder even though he knew Aw'endo was now cooing over the silk sheets in the guest nest. "My own charge has given me headaches of my own."

Chuckling, Fl'ex's eyes looked down at Eyeri who was half hiding behind Tai'ray at this point, his blue eyes looking at Fl'ex warily. "Is this the troublesome charge, or is your pretty limpet someone else?"

Tai'ray let go of Eyeri's hand and drew the human so he was standing in front of him, placing an arm on his shoulders protectively. "He is certainly a charge, but not so troublesome yet. Hopefully not ever but I would be a fool to assume that," Tai'ray said with a wink. Eyeri let out a strange noise of complaint. Tai'ray beamed and tightened his grip for a moment fondly. "Eyeri is Ryraso's apprentice and foster son. With Tayagwe being so close to the border, I thought I should keep Eyeri close, least Ryraso gets any ideas."

"Your chosen is unwilling to return?" Fl'ex said sympathetically, as they walked in the room. It was simple, wooden but there were runes decorating it to promote privacy and to avoid people listening in to them. There were two glasses of water on the table and three cups with a kettle nearby with tea brewing. Fl'ex sat gracefully on a green cushion and Tai'ray sat on a large blue cushion and pulled Eyeri so he was sitting next to him on it. Glancing around and pleased to find they were still in private with no one around, Tai'ray shrugged.