Chapter 45

Time seemed to tick slowly for Ryraso as he worked in Isavine, the capital city of Awacia. Ryraso wasn't even sure why he had taken the post up. Only that going home wasn't an option anymore and to stay in Navat, healers had to have an invite. To get an invite they needed sighs of a connection to the link or for their mentor to sponsor them; Ryraso had neither. It hadn't stopped him dreaming of the green forest.

So with no other options, Ryraso had taken the position offered and moved in with Isst who was also living in Isavine. Ryraso came still half numb in grief and was not helped by the fact he wasn't really wanted there, at least not anyone but the directors wanted him there and that was only so they could say they had the country boy who gained a pass. The other doctors didn't give a damn about him. Ryraso had the skills yes, but so did everyone else there. He was just a novelty.

He was put into the free clinic as a junior doctor with a note on his file so people knew he was the one to go to about K'nairi. Bluntly it was a joke. The k'nairi only lived up north and Isavine was in the south. It wasn't like there was a lot of k'nairi flying about. It just gave to snobs more to tease him with.

His days in Isavine were filled with minor injuries, and watching as other doctors got to do the more important operations. The more interesting stuff. He was confined to the free clinic to work on the country folk. His evenings drinking at the pub with Isst and his warrior friends, normally drinking them under the table. Living with the k'nairi had given him a good tolerance for moonshine. Or occasionally treating the ones who hadn't bothered to get checked out after their training duels. The high priest Jun rarely let the guards get treatment on duty, so Ryraso was basically working as an underground doctor in the evening and as a free doctor during the day.

"Ryraso!" Isst yelled, slamming Ryraso's bedroom door as he walked in, the smell of coffee filling the room as Isst was carrying a cup. "Time to shift. You're on duty soon," he said loudly, shaking Ryraso's shoulder. Ryraso growled and swatted his hand but Isst just continued to poke him.

"Piss off," Ryraso groaned into his pillow, still waving his hand to bat Isst away.

"Come on!" Isst teased, tickling gently with one hand as he sipped his drink. "Can't let your colleagues finally give you an excuse to get you fired," he said cheerfully.

Ryraso flopped with a loud exhaled. "Then stop getting your colleague pouring liquid ethanol down my throat!" he complained, forcing himself to sit up nursing his head. "I swear Wiljam's moonshine is illegal."

"Quite possibly," Isst chuckled cheerfully. "Come on. I need to shift as well. Important day today at the palace," he grinned. "The birds are in the city."

"The Royal triad has come to meet the High Priest. They are not birds," grumbled Ryraso, stealing Isst's cup of coffee. Ryraso grimaced at the taste, Isst preferring a stronger taste to him. "Your taste in coffee is as bad as your singing last night. What Millie sees in you is anyone's guess."

"Sorry Ry, but I can't show you why Millie loves me. She'd be very unhappy with us and want something from you that you wouldn't be willing to do," Isst said with a wink. Ryraso rolling his eyes. Isst's beloved was an interesting woman. "I'll remember to refer to them as such should my lowly self meet them."

"Who knows?" Ryraso commented, not letting Isst have his cup back, instead downing the rest of the coffee. "The Winglord isn't noble born and neither is Consort Dyn'ad. Maybe they'll want to try the royal guard out in the sparring ring," Ryraso teased.

"I hope not," Isst groaned, not wanting to have to deal with the fallout of being destroyed by the k'nairi Royals, even if they were famous for being deadly fighters. "Still, you better remind your superiors that you're trained to treat the k'nairi. This may be your chance to get a promotion if something happens."