Impromptu Introduction

One steamy late August morning in 2009, I find myself standing on a podium opposite a field, facing nine hundred pairs of young, foreign eyes.

"This is your new English teacher." At least that's what I would have assumed the principal to have said.

"I'd like you to join me in welcoming her. She will now introduce herself."

Wait, what?

The realization does not hit until a co-teacher ushers me forward and translates the "introduction" bit. In a micro-moment, I am awash with panic.

Opposite me, nine hundred middle schoolers standing in rows, spanning the entire school yard. Curious faces, dead silence.

Public speaking has never been my strong suit. High school and university presentations I've always rehearsed to death the night before. At parties or group settings I'm always more comfortable bringing ears and eyes, instead of verbality. The more spontaneous the setting, the more anxiety to do with talking.

Could this moment be any more spontaneous and high-stakes? I try NOT to think of screwing up. I try not to remind myself that this is the first impression these students will have of me. I try not to think of making a fool of myself, of losing whatever potential respect they may develop in the coming months.

"Hi everyone!! My name is Jing Jing. I will be your new English teacher this year!" My forged cheerfulness was amplified by the microphone. Too strong. I make a mental note to scale back.

"I'm from Toronto, in Canada. Do you know Toronto?"

Miscellaneous chitter-chatter. Confusion.

"Anyway, I look forward to starting classes with you next week! Thank you."

I tremble down the podium, glad that the ordeal is over. The principal claps, and the sea of hands follows.

Later in the hallway, I bump into a few students. We stare at each other briefly, then I smile. They hesitate. Bow 90 degrees. I breathe a sigh of relief.

This will be an interesting year.