Small Face

"Teacher, you have a small face."

I was chatting nonchalantly with two female students. The conversation was loosely ignited from news of the latest K-pop releases when the Small Face Compliment got dropped.

I had been forewarned about the Small Face Compliment, through an otherwise not-so-memorable Youtube video about expat life in Korea. Said Compliment is endemic to the country, particularly on school and university grounds but can be heard throughout the country. Pop stars are admired for their small facial real estate on TV. Friends are praised for having been genetically privileged with such a rarity. All around the country, hair and makeup styles aim to reconstruct as small a surface area for your eyes, nose and lips as possible. Bangs are your best colluders in such a feat.

The thinking goes, the smaller the size of your face, the bigger your eyes would look -- or the more baby-like your appearance. The shape of your face matters too. Round or square faces are less desired than oval, as they add a few unwanted square centimetres to your jaws. Like undesired love-handles for the face.

Problem is, my face is full-on Square -- with extra real estate on the forehead and jaw corners to prove it. Hairstylists would take one look at me and shake their heads, working fervently to add sideswept bangs and bob cuts to lessen its severity. I am a verified Square Face.

So what do you do when you know your students are just casually dropping the Small Face Compliment for brownie points?

"Why, thank you. Your face is smaller!"

You take it in stride and tailor the Compliment as needed.