Chapter 6

“He what?” Reese said into her phone, raking her fingers through her hair.

“Landon’s been arrested,” Paul said back to Reese.

“For what?” At least Reese knew why her dad hadn’t come with her clothes. He was sitting in a police station, probably handcuffed. She hoped they wouldn’t find his antipsychotic medication on him or they would most likely keep him for evaluation, even for a minor offense.

“Attempted murder.”

So much for a minor offense. “Are you kidding me?”

“I wish I were. I’m on my way to the courthouse now. Hopefully they’ll set a reasonable bail at his arraignment so I can get him out.”

“Who did he try to kill?” Odd that she didn’t question whether he actually had tried or not. Besides, she knew the answer, didn't she?

“Gregory.”

Reese had to cover her mouth so her laugh was stifled. Expecting the answer apparently did little to quill her excitement.

"Somehow he got into his hospital room and tried smothering him with a pillow.” Paul's voice was steady. Perhaps he didn't notice Reese's reaction.

Her giddiness deflated as she recalled how she fantasized doing the exact same thing earlier. She had a frantic second of thinking that she had sent out a beacon to her dad and he was only following her instructions. But that was crazy thinking, wasn’t it?

“Paul, if you can bring me a change of clothes, I will go to the courthouse. You shouldn’t have to be bothered with this.”

“I’m already on the road, and Lucy is coming by with a change of clothes for you.”

“She is? That’s so sweet. She was at my office earlier taking care of my schedule.”

“I know. She told me. I think she doesn’t want to go home to Heather. She’s trying to find anything to keep herself busy. I hope you don’t mind, I let her into your townhouse. She needed to grab your stuff, and she wanted to finish cleaning up the broken glass.”

“How did you let her in?” Reese couldn’t recall giving a key to Paul.

There was a long few seconds of silence and then Paul said, “I found your hide-a-key.” After another pause, Paul said, “I am psychic, you know.”

Reese couldn’t tell if he was joking or not. Either way, she was thankful to both Lucy and Paul.

“I can meet you at the courthouse,” Reese said.

“I don’t think so. No way the hospital is discharging you already. Besides, by the time you would get there, we’ll probably be done with the arraignment.”

“Do you think they’ll let him post bail? I don’t want him sitting in jail.”

“Probably. I’m assuming it’s his first offense and considering the circumstances, he’s not likely to pose a threat to anybody on the street.”

“Okay. Thanks for taking care of this, Paul. Call me when you guys are all set.”

“Will do. How are you feeling?”

A commotion in the hospital hallway erupted distracting Reese from Paul’s words. She raced to the doorway and saw Dr. Dunham, several nurses, and a handsome young man with several days growth on his chin looking like they were botching a fire drill.

“Where is she?” Dr. Dunham bellowed as he circled around three hundred and sixty degrees.

“Paul, I have to go,” Reese said absentmindedly into her phone. She heard him same something as she disconnected the call.