Chapter 7

May 9, 2007

“You know next week is a full moon, don’t you?” Reese’s client said. The seven-month pregnant woman sat not so comfortably in one of the arm chairs across from Reese’s desk.

Reese took a second to wonder what the moon’s cycle had to do with the woman’s current predicament. She was on the verge of reminding the woman that she should find a therapist, not use coaching in its place. “No, I didn’t know there is a full moon next week.” Reese leaned back in her executive leather chair, placing her folded hands across her stomach. She silently wondered what it would feel like to be pregnant. The desire to have children eluded her but the older she got, she couldn’t help but think the choice was going to be taken away from her. It made her a little sad. “Are you changing the subject, Kimberly?”

The woman rubbed one hand over her protruding belly and stared over Reese’s shoulder as if she were lost in her thoughts. 

Reese waited a few seconds before saying, “Have you thought about going to the police?”

Kimberly’s attention snapped back to Reese. “Why would I do that? It’s not like he’s ever put his hands on me.”

“He said your son is Satan’s spawn. He threatened to kill your unborn child.”

“Maybe he’s just nervous about being a father for the first time.”

“Kimberly, you know what I don’t understand? You are an intelligent woman. Independent. A doctor, for God’s sakes. Why are you defending your husband?”

“I know,” Dr. Kimberly Pilchard answered, referring to her intelligence. Reese liked her client’s frankness. There was never any blushing or denials when a compliment was paid. Kimberly accepted who she was. As a matter of fact, Reese wasn’t even sure why the doctor insisted on coaching sessions. Her initial intake indicated there was no significant dissatisfaction in any areas of her life, including her marriage. This was only the second meeting in which Kimberly had stated anything was wrong in her life.

“What would I say to the police, Reese? They might tell me to get a restraining order but we both know that won’t do a damn thing.”

“It would let him know you’re serious about protecting your child.”

“I can’t imagine he would actually harm our son. I think he’s worried it’s not his.”

“Is that a possibly?” Reese said as she leaned forward, propping her elbows on the edge of her desk and her chin on her crossed fingers. She wanted the session to end. She glanced at the clock over the coffee pot. Twenty more minutes.

It registered with Reese that Kimberly didn’t answer the question. Her hesitation spoke volumes.

“Who’s the father?” Reese asked, forgetting her good manners and the fact that she was not a psychologist. Just as quickly, she said, “Never mind. You don’t have to answer that.”

That’s when the tears started. At first, there was just glistening at Kimberly’s eyes. Reese tensed up. She moved her hands down and squeezed her knees under the desk where Kimberly couldn’t see.

“I messed up, Reese.” The tears released, rolling down the doctor’s cheeks. Reese watched as they dripped from Kimberly’s chin to her baby belly. Her client was in a crisis situation and all Reese wanted to do was tell her their relationship had come to its end.

Reese tightened her grip on her knees, hoping it would keep her from blurting out something insensitive. “So your husband knows?”

“I don’t know. Maybe,” Kimberly said as her crying increased.