Chapter 7

Chapter 7   

I returned a few moments later with colorful pills in my hand and a glass of water. I handed over the glass and the pills as I sat next to Mason’s side.

He took the medicine without any fuss or complaint.

I watched as he swallowed the pills and winced at the horrible aftertaste. I raised one hand to check his temperature again, but he swatted it away and I pouted with irritation.

My hands curled into his gray nightshirt soaked in sweat, tugging.

"What are you doing?" he gritted through his teeth.

"This needs to go off," I replied and I couldn't hide my blushing smile.

His glare burned into me, hating. Mason put the empty glass down on the side table and grabbed the end of his shirt. With one swift motion, he ripped it off, tearing the thin cotton off his shapely body, exposing his smooth skin, toned muscles underneath and his black tattoo.  

“You do know that right now, it’s only me and you in this house. It wouldn’t be a crime to try and get along while we both suffer it out under one roof?” I finally managed to say after several minutes of gawking at him. The hint of agitation and annoyance clear in my bold voice that tried to cover up my intimate musings.   

“Try?” he mocked.     

“Yes…,” I replied. I raised my eyebrow up.

“I thought I told you we shouldn’t.”   

“And, apparently I must be stubborn because I’m not going to follow that.”   

Mason pinched the bridge of his nose. “Ari? Please don’t persuade me too.”

I gulped. “Okay,” I retorted, “I think you’ve made your opinion quite clear.” My eyes narrowed.  

We sat in silence for what felt like a lifetime. We sat so close to each other that I could feel the warm heat roll of his fever. He didn’t want him to push me away. He just didn’t want to fall in the well. “Being a soldier, being out there, fighting, saving people, surviving – it must have its toll on you right?”

His dark eyes snapped to mine. “What are you talking about?”  

“I’m talking about what it’s like to be a soldier. I don’t know what it’s really like but I want to know from you? Please tell me something, Mason.” I pleaded.

He pinched the bridge of his nose, frustrated. “It’s dangerous.”  

“Lonely?”   

“Sometimes.”                                                                              

“Have you ever had a friend out there with you?”

“Yes I have.”  

“Tell me about that friend. Surely your relationship with them must have been good if you are fearless enough to accept them as a friend.”   

“Charlie.” he said wistfully. I could see him drift off into the memories as he sat next to me on the bed. His eyes were staring straight ahead but he wasn’t really looking at anything in particular. A small sad smile played on his lips. Then he turned his head to me as if to make me understand who Charlie was. “He was my friend: Charlie Bluebell. We fought many battles together. He had my back and I had his. Charlie was the only man I trusted besides your father. Otherwise I was on my own. Sometimes when you out there facing your worst nightmares the people around you can turn into your enemies. You need to know who to trust. Making the mistake of trusting the wrong person could be fatal.”