Chapter 11

Chapter11:                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    

The wind rocked the treetops till the whole forest looked as if it was going to shake apart. The wind shook and rattled the house to its core foundation. The snow berated against the window, it was dark and stormy outside the next day. The temperature had dropped considerably low. I could feel it through the layers of cashmere and wool. The morning had swished by quickly and mason Walsh was being deliberately spiteful with his presence that kept being everywhere I was. I wanted to scream and run for the snowy capped hills in the distance.  He could sense I was trying my very best to take no notice of him in the room and it confused him to his wits end. Normally I was the one being ignored. With the situation reversed, it was something he could not comprehend or accept.   

If only I had heeded to his advice in the beginning and stayed away from him in the beginning. No – I shook my head – I didn’t regret being a naive little girl, curious to the stranger lying in the bed next door. Mason grew even more frustrated with me at every turning point when he braved to ask me something, to hear my voice speak to him the way it usually carried on. It made no sound and he was forced to back away to the study or to the room down the hall from mine. I think he finally got that I was trying to avoid him and with a sigh he retreated away from me giving me much needed space from his tempting presence.      

My cup of sweets is not unmingled it is dashed with bitterness that I cannot hide from myself, disguise it as I will. I may try to persuade myself that the sweetness overpowers it, I may call it a pleasant aromatic flavour, but say what I will, it is still there, and cannot but taste it. I cannot shut my eyes and not think of Mason Walsh. Every small thing I do is to divert me from thinking about him. It troubles me how nothing helps.

 It must have been ten p.m when I still lie awake, haunted by his thoughts as I toss and turn in my bed that grows uncomfortable at every passing minute. I think of his bed, the one I slept in: so comfortable, soft and warm. Great and now, my thoughts are back to him again. I sigh deeply, stomping out of bed to find another distraction that I know will not last long in helping me forget him. I wonder around the dark house, Mason is asleep in his room behind the closed door that I pass on my way downstairs.    

I meander around the house twice, into empty rooms. I conflict about watching some television, but I am not in the mood. I conflict about counting our diminishing food stock and my mood sours even more. That’s when I find it, in the study, the room where Mason spends most of his time in. Locked in a cabinet, under a case of property books, is a collection of fine quality whiskeys, deep rich amber in varying shades. I smile deviously at the group of glass bottles – I have found my distraction and it is a fairly good one, I must admit too. I poured myself a tumbler full of scotch, gulping it down until it’s all gone. Then I poured another. 

Eventually I ditched using a glass and just propped the bottle to my lips allowing the buzzing liquid to pound right to my head. Striding back to put my iPod on loud and feeling the music drift me off into an alternate universe, far from my already screwed up one.  Threw my head back, letting the luscious wavy blonde hair of mine fall back as I danced to the music. I felt more like myself doing this: sexy and relaxed.    

Suffice it to say, that I was completely and utterly lost in the moment with my hands in the air and my hips swaying provocatively and sultry that I hadn’t even noticed how I bumped into a wall of books that came tumbling to the ground. I had already knocked over the golden globe that was perched on the dark, glossy mahogany desk in the study. Somehow, the music seemed louder and thumped along with my nodding head.