Chapter 4

Emily watched as Amanda went through an obstacle course with power and precision. Never in her world would she think she could do something like that too. Amanda tumbled and rolled, restocking her weapons with ammunition and without hesitation, cleared the target boards with grace.

"Wow..." she breathed out in amazement and clapped when the leader of Athena finished her last blow.

"That was...amazing." Emily went over to the breathless girl with a wide smile while Amanda smirked and stood up, telling her that one day, she would be able to do that too and hopefully, it wouldn't be out of a forced situation.

"Yeah...I was wondering if you could teach me how," said Emily as she tucked her hair behind her ear meekly.

The divine beauty that stood before her chuckled, then announced, "Then let's go back to basics."

She explained that obstacle course was for advanced training, a feat that Emily could only hope for after she has mastered the basic training. The new Wielder was taught some basic stance; Feet shoulder width apart and to bend lower so that she could have more stability. A defensive stance was usually good for the beginner. Emily tried but she was still new and felt awkward.

After being taught some defence moves and nearly hitting her head on a bench, Amanda called for a break. They sat together as they wiped their sweat.

"Drink." Amanda tossed a bottle to Emily who instinctively caught it in midair. "Good reflex."

"So how... do people become Wielders?" Emily asked curiously as she stared at Amanda's glistening throat, gulping down the whole bottle of water.

Amanda placed her bottle to the side and explained patiently, "We get to choose somebody once in our lives to become a Wielder."

Emily suddenly remembered when Tasha stood forward and told Pala that she chose her.

"But it doesn't necessarily mean that all chosen ones become Wielders successfully and stay. Some fall out or couldn't abide by the code and instead of exiling them, their memories are wiped," said Amanda kindly.

"And those who chose them aren't able to choose anymore. So we have to be careful who we want to become Wielders. And there are also some Wielders who never chose anyone and it's also perfectly fine." Amanda smiled at Emily.

"Then how do you know if the person is the chosen one?" asked Emily again, persistently. She was hungry for more knowledge about the world of Wielders. About this place and these people that she never knew existed and the people above would ever know the existence of either.

Amanda shrugged, pulling her hair back up in a ponytail. "It's different for every individual. Some chose their lovers, some felt a strong magnetic pull, some go through a revelation, and there also some that don't feel anything and yet chose someone."

Emily stared at her, wide in awe.

"So how... did you get chosen?"

Amanda diverted her gaze for a moment and then looked up and smiled at Emily sadly.

"Tom was the one who found me and chose me. You met him before. He stood next to Pala when we brought you here. I owe him for everything he's done for me." She proceeded to grab Emily's hands and rubbed the back of Emily's palms with her thumb.

"It was a dark time for me and he pulled me through. I'll save that story for another time. Now, go and wash up. We have to meet the Angel."