18

"He what?!" Dot hissed at lunch on Friday, horrified.

Dot's horror made Marina even more gleeful. "He told Trey I could walk out with him on Friday and Saturday nights. Trey's taking me out Friday. I don't know where."

"Without me?" she asked plaintively, which dampened Marina's glee quite a bit.

"I— Well, yes. But you— You have your church activities then," Marina said hesitantly. "You, um ... You have a dance at church Friday, don't you? I didn't think you'd mind, especially if you asked Gene to go. He would, I bet."

Dot blinked. "Uh ... "

"Golly, Dot, didn't you even think of it?" Marina started to get excited again. "Gene went to your show and he really liked it. Why don't you ask him if he'd like to go?"

Dot's expression turned doubtful. "I don't think that's quite proper. That's almost like asking him out on a date."

"Even if you don't want to ask him, you can tell him about it. I bet he'd get the hint. He can't show up to a party he doesn't know is happening."

"That's a ducky idea," Dot said loftily, then they both laughed.

"Hi, Marina."

Marina was surprised when a girl in the class ahead sat beside her.

"Soooo who's your highjohn?"

"Go chase yourself, Ruthie," Dot clucked.

Ruthie ignored Dot, her eyes narrowing on Marina. "Well?"

"His name is Trey," Marina said calmly, although her heart was thumping. She didn't know if she was pleased to have caught the attention of Ruthie and her clique or not. She wanted to brag about him, but she didn't want to open herself up to ridicule.

"Mmm hm. And what's he do that he's got that snazzy car?"

"He sells insurance."

"Marina, you don't have to answer her questions. She's just jealous."

Ruthie rolled her eyes. "Where'd you meet him?"

"Kresge's."

"He doesn't look like the kind of man who'd go with someone like you."

That hurt. Marina knew it. Dot knew it. Trey knew it. Gene knew it. Everyone in school knew it. And yet ... "He looks like he looks and he's going with me, so I guess you need specs." Dot choked on her milk, then started laughing. Marina gave Ruthie an innocent shrug and said, "Sorry."

Ruthie curled her lip and flounced off.

Dot was still laughing, but Marina swirled her spoon in her chocolate pudding, no longer able to eat.

"Oh, Marina," Dot sighed when she finally realized Marina wasn't happy.

"It's true," she muttered. "It's just a matter of time. I thought ... I thought people would look at me differently if they knew about Trey, but they don't. They just think Trey has an ulterior motive."

Dot and Marina didn't speak for the rest of the day. Marina was too sad. Dot knew there was nothing that could make Marina feel better.

"Dot!"

"Dot!"

"Dot!"

went the barks of little puppies at the end of the day as Marina and Dot were gathering their books.

Dot gave them the side-eye, but didn't smile, didn't chat, didn't flirt. She had been doing this for the last three weeks, but they wouldn't give up. "I wish Gene would come pick me up at school," Dot grumbled.