23

"Hello, Mrs. Scarritt," Trey said cheerfully from the doorway. Marina was peeking around the corner where he couldn't see her.

"Hello, Mr. Dunham," Mother said stiffly. "Please, do come in. Marina will be out in a moment."

"Thank you," he said pleasantly and stepped into the foyer, but Mother kept him there.

Marina darted to the kitchen to gather the picnic basket, then waited for at least a minute before she went to meet Trey, who was standing in the foyer talking to Mother. " ... hide-and-go-seek."

Mother said nothing for several seconds, during which Trey caught Marina's eye and smiled.

"Hide-and-go-seek," Mother said as if she'd never heard of it before.

"Yes. Gene and I are afraid the girls are getting tired of baseball—which, of course, they wouldn't tell us because they are too polite—"

"Marina, most definitely."

"Especially Marina," Trey said with a conspiratorial nod at Mother. "What better Saturday afternoon entertainment than a soda, picnic, and games?"

"I think that's a fine idea," Father said from behind Marina, startling her. "Don't you, Mrs. Scarritt?" he asked as he extended a hand to Trey.

"Sir," Trey said with a firm shake of the hand. "Thank you. I've been very careful to select activities good Christian couples can indulge in."

"Couples?" Mother asked sharply, while Marina tried to calm her racing heart.

"A man and a woman out courting," Trey answer solicitously.

"She is not a woman. She's sixteen. You are twenty-four."

"Mrs. Scarritt," Father said softly, lightly grasping her elbow, "I think we can all agree that Marina is very mature for her age—"

Mother made a small peep.

"—and we have never had reason to doubt her ability to choose the right path. Dorothy will be there, Mr. Dunham?"

"Yes, sir, as well as Gene. We will be stopping by Kresge's first, as usual, then go to a park amongst other picnickers, and we will leave long before dark. Mrs. Scarritt, I understand your concerns and will honor them to the best of my ability. I cannot, however, do anything about my age. To be honest, and this is a credit to you, I forget that the calendar says she's sixteen. Her maturity is years beyond. I appreciate the reminder."

"Lovely turn of phrase, Mr. Dunham. 'The calendar says ... ' Yes. Please do have fun. Marina."

"Thank you, Father," Marina said dutifully, but with a shy, grateful smile that garnered a pleased smile from him in return.

"Thank you, sir. Ma'am. Well!" Trey breathed as he guided Marina out the front door before taking her picnic basket and offering his other arm to her. "I do believe your father likes me."

"He does," Marina said gaily.

Trey flashed her a grin. "Aren't you chipper today!"

"Well," she said matter-of-factly as he handed her in the car and put the picnic basket in the back, "Father's been so kind, allowing me to walk out with you."

"Is your father usually not kind?" Trey asked as they zipped down the street.

"He's always kind, but not always as approving of things I thought he might be. I mayn't go to Dot's church, but I may walk out with you alone on Friday and Saturday evenings."