Chapter 6: Hogsmeade Haul

"Since Christmas break is fast approaching, I know many of you will be slacking off. However, I expect more from fourth year students like you. You are already being prepared for your O.W.L.s next school year. Therefore, you will be assigned a project to do during the break."

Groans of disappointment echoed throughout the dingy classroom in the dungeons.

"Silence," Snape drawled. "Lucky for you, it will be done in groups of three." Murmurs and looks of excitement came from the class, so he raised a hand to silence them once more. "And no, you will not get to choose who you are to work with. I have already chosen your group mates based on your abilities to ensure that each member does their task and presents a decent output."

"Damn it," Alista grumbled, who sat in between Jessica and Bethany. Naturally, the three of them wanted to be grouped together, but Snape was always a step ahead.

Snape went on to explain what the project was. The first half of the project was all written work. Its purpose was to test the students' knowledge on a specific potion; its uses, casualties, and ingredients. Jessica knew this was the easy part. She could easily finish this essay on her own in the library. However, Snape announced that the minimum length of the essay would be seven feet.

The next portion of the group work would be potion making. Simple potions were usually done alone, but Snape gave pair work once in a while depending on the difficulty of the potion. Now, he wasted no time in saying that this was a level higher than their usual potions in preparation for their O.W.L.s.

Snape then began calling out the members of each group.

"Faye, Greene, and..." The three girls crossed their fingers, hoping for the impossible. "... Zachary."

"So close," Bethany muttered in disappointment. "Sorry, Jess. Guess you're too smart to be compatible with us."

"Chopra, Hawthorne, and Higgs."

Jessica's eyes scanned the classroom, searching for her group mates. Zarina Chopra, one of Alista's Slytherin friends and roommates, seemed to not even be paying attention, her chin resting on her hand as she stared blankly ahead.

"Don't worry, Jess," Alista reassured her, seeing her friend's uneasy face. "You met Zarina already, right? She's got a bit of a strong personality, but she'll get the work done when it gets down to it."

Then, Jessica locked eyes with Terence Higgs, the current Slytherin Seeker, and now her group mate for this Potions project. She knew he was one of the more decent Slytherins, according to Alista, but she was still mildly surprised when he sent her a small smile.

"See? Terence isn't going to be hard to work with, either. He's a good guy," Alista continued, easing Jessica's worries. "But of course, it would've been so much better if we were grouped to —"

"Greene."

Alista stopped talking, sending Snape, who had stopped in front of their table, a sheepish look as she slumped back into her seat.

"Sorry, Professor."

★ ★ ★