Chapter 10: Subtle Confessions

Weeks after the students' return to Hogwarts from their Christmas break, the workload the professors were giving them — regardless of their year level — was on another level of heavy. It was as if the teachers all thought that the students had more than enough time to sit back and relax during those few weeks and were trying to make up for lost time with an insane amount of requirements to be completed.

On the bright side, the group assignment that Jessica had with Higgs and Chopra was a success. They had submitted it a while back and Snape was currently returning their work with a flick of his wand, the piles of parchment separating and levitating to the respective owners. Their long essay landed in front of Jessica and she gently took it into her hands, eagerly searching for their score. She let out a sigh of relief when she read the big, red letter 'O' for Outstanding. She did pretty well in all her subjects, and Potions wasn't an exception, but she was always a little more nervous because Snape wasn't exactly the most considerate professor there was at Hogwarts — especially to Gryffindors.

"Hawthorne," someone whisper-yelled from somewhere behind her. Jessica whipped around to find Terence trying to get her attention. He pointed at the paper she was holding as if to ask if he could see it. With a genuine smile, she flashed the paper and showed him the high score they got, and the Slytherin boy couldn't help but beam back at her.

After Potions, Alista left earlier than Jessica and Bethany to make it in time for her next class, Herbology, because it took place at the greenhouses and she needed to hurry. So, it was just the two fourth year Gryffindors walking at their own pace out of the dungeons. However, it seemed that Terence Higgs, unlike Alista, was in no rush to head to his next class, because he had suddenly called Jessica's last name on her way out of the classroom.

Jessica didn't have to say a word to know that Bethany would be polite enough to step aside and let them talk. The redhead moved to the side a few feet away from them to wait for her friend to do what she had to. Meanwhile, Jessica met Terence halfway from her spot, curious as to why he still needed to speak to her.

"Higgs," she said. "What is it?"

"Thanks for helping me bring my Potions grade back up," he began with a hint of humor.

"It was a group assignment. I didn't do everything," Jessica said politely.

"You probably didn't notice, but you sort of did. You took charge of almost everything and edited my and Chopra's work."

"Oh," said Jessica sheepishly. "Yeah, I suppose I didn't notice. You did well, too, though."

"Thanks, but I'm not complaining," he clarified with a grin. "We got an O from Snape because of you. Anyway, I've been meaning to ask you something. Even though we're done with that assignment, would you want to, well, continue meeting up?"

Jessica raised her eyebrows at his request.

"Oh, do you want me to help you with Potions?" she asked.

"Wait, actually —"

"I wouldn't say I'm the best tutor, but —"

"That's not what I meant," Terence cut her off. When Jessica merely stared up at him to wait for his clarification, his shoulders slumped. He didn't realize she was that daft for her not to get his drift. With a small sigh of defeat, he shook his head. He decided to try next time and be clearer about it, but he guessed this wasn't the right time.

"Never mind," he said with a smile still playing on his lips. "Thanks again, Hawthorne. I'll talk to you soon."

Jessica frowned in confusion, wanting to know what he was going to tell her. She never liked it when people couldn't just say what they needed to say to her, then ended up leaving her hanging. However, he was just her group mate for that one assignment, so she assumed it wasn't anything big and brushed it off, turning around to go back to Bethany who was waiting for her. She didn't notice that the girl had watched and listened to the whole ordeal and was grinning mischievously, knowing exactly what Terence must have been trying to say to her best friend.