PROLOGUE

—  ♛  —

—  ♛  —

In the year 105 AC, Princess Gael Targaryen, the youngest child of King Jaehaerys and Queen Alysanne, met a singer performing in the streets of Flea Bottom. Enamoured by his soft voice and softer touch, the Princess gave herself to him fully.

The next morning, she awoke alone and ashamed.

Three moons later, Princess Gael discovered she was pregnant. With no allies besides her nephew, King Viserys, Princess Gael was forced to remove herself from the court. She begged the King to keep her indiscretion a secret, hoping to spare her child from the shame she felt. King Viserys obliged for one sole reason: a promise he made to The Old King.

Upon Queen Alysanne's death, she made her husband, King Jaehaerys, promise to love and protect their last living child, a promise that Viserys swore before being named Prince of Dragonstone. Princess Gael was twenty years of age the day Viserys became King.

King Viserys' promise did not stop the court gossip. Close to the day of her intended labours, Princess Gael heard rumours of how her nephew cut open his wife on the childbed. The maids and highborn ladies whispered of how the same fate would befall her and her unborn babe. Distressed and paranoid, Princess Gael fled her chambers and hid away under the Red Keep. She gave birth alone and afraid nearly fourteen hours later.

In 106 AC, Valarr Waters was born under the watchful eyes of Balerion, bloody and screaming to the gods.

But the birth of her son brought the Princess no joy. Fourteen days after the birth of her son, whilst King Viserys married Alicent Hightower in the Sept of Baelor, Princess Gael walked into Blackwater Bay and drowned. It earned Valarr the title of The Blackwater Bastard.

Valarr only screamed more.

The rough usage of his voice damaged his vocal cords. When Valarr finally learned to speak, the maesters said his voice was akin to the wind on a winter day. This, however, did not stop the maesters from detailing the young boy's talent for singing.

In partial penitence for causing the death of his wife, newborn son, and now his aunt, King Viserys legitimized the late Princess Gael's only child.

And so, Valarr Waters became Valarr Targaryen.

The Blackwater Banshee.

—  ♛  —