III. BEHOLDER

— ♛ —

— ♛ —

By the time Valarr stirred to consciousness, the candle he was using for light had burnt out, leaving the hidden alcove dark and cold. His neck ached from the awkward position, and protested his every movement. The book he was reading, now fallen to the side, lost the page he was stuck on before he fell asleep. Some pages bent along the long edges — nothing too terrible, but enough that it would be something Valarr would have to explain to the maesters when he returned it.

Valarr stood up, brushing the dirt off his pants and doublet before gathering the books. He tiredly started the journey back to his chambers. The young Targaryen knew he would be in trouble. The King told him, quite specifically, not to get lost, and while technically that did not happen, he still stayed out far too late.

As he turned a corner, the soft kicking of footsteps reached his ears. Panic crept in as he realized the King may have sent guards to look for him again. Valarr quickly ducked behind the corner, pressing himself against the cold stone. The footsteps grew louder, echoing in the tighter passageway. As the figure passed by his hiding place, he peaked out, trying to see which Kingsguard had found their way into the underbelly of the Red Keep.

But it was not a Kingsguard.

It was Prince Daemon, wearing common clothes and walking through the tunnels like he had walked them a hundred times before. When the Prince neared the exit of the passageway, he pulled up his hood to conceal his signature silver Targaryen hair, which confused Valarr. Why would he want to hide his hair? If he had been born with Valyrian hair, Valarr would have displayed it proudly. Perhaps he may then be able to tie his hair in war braids like the dragonlords before The Doom.

Once the Prince was out of sight, Valarr pulled himself from his hiding place and continued the walk back to his chambers. He was almost out of the catacombs, humming a greeting to Balerion's skull, when he had to stop and hide again. This time, he heard a different pair of footsteps and took refuge behind the stone dais under Balerion.

The figure that emerged walked more cautiously than Daemon had. This person was much smaller and slimmer, too. As they drew nearer to the spot where Valarr concealed himself, his heartbeat quickened, but they, like Daemon, stepped right past him. He watched them go with a mix of curiosity and trepidation. Who else was trying to leave the Keep this late? Were they following Daemon? They had to be if they were walking in the same direction.

After a moment's hesitation, Valarr dropped his books beside him, deciding to continue his stealthy pursuit. Silently, he trailed after the person through the twisting tunnels and cavernous passages. Valarr thanked the Flames that he was still wearing his black clothing, which blended well into the shadows. He followed until finally, they reached the same exit of the Keep that he saw Daemon go through. To his surprise, Daemon was still waiting on the other side of the exit. Then Daemon turned away, the figure following, and disappeared from his view.