Chapter Forty-Four

Chapter Forty-Four

"It's nice to get you alone for awhile," Tanner admitted as he and Temperance strolled together through the barn. "Don't get me wrong, I love Jackson something fierce but I've been craving having you to myself."

Temperance nodded. "It is nice," she agreed. Jackson had gone into town with Wilma and a few of the workers. They had asked if Temperance and Tanner wanted to accompany them but Temperance had refused and Tanner had decided to stay with her instead of pushing her into going.

It had surprised her at the time but now she realized it was because he had wanted to have her alone....That thought would have terrified her just one short month ago but Tanner had been back for four full weeks now and Temperance had come a long way in that time. Just yesterday she had gone into the barn alone while three of the workers had been in there. She had wanted to tend to a few of her favorite horses and while she'd shaken like a leaf for the first few minutes she'd been in that enclosed space with them--she had done it and she was proud.

"You've done a real good job with this place, Temp," Tanner admitted. "These horses are some of the nicest working horses I've seen. They're all broad and stout and strong."

"Horses became my focus the last few years. I love working with them and I've overseen all the breeding to try to make our horses the best I can."

"You've done that job well," Tanner reached out and ran his hand over the flank of a breeding male named Rogue. His offspring were proving to be some of the best horseflesh that Temperance--or anyone else--had ever seen.

"I felt safe with the horses... I felt as if I could trust them when I trusted no one else," Temperance admitted.

"I'm glad you had them," Tanner smiled warmly. "I'm glad they were able to give you some peace of mind."

Temperance nodded and nuzzled a young colt's neck. He let out a snort and stepped closer to her. "I admit I had ulterior motives for wanting to spend some time alone with you today," she stated without turning her gaze to Tanner.

Tanner coughed and then cleared his throat loudly. "What kind of motives were those?"

"To talk about you."

"What about me?" Tanner questioned with surprise.

Temperance sighed and stepped away from the young colt. She looked up into Tanner's eyes and bit her lip. "You have spent the last few weeks so focused on me and everything that I have needed and I think it's time that we focused on you."

"Temperance, I'm fine," Tanner shook his head. "I'm here with you and Jackson and...."

"I deserve better than that from you," Temperance warned.

Tanner's blue/gray eyes narrowed slightly. "What do you mean?"

"I mean that I deserve better than to be lied to."

Tanner sighed with defeat. "I am not going to add stress to you, Temp. You don't need to be worrying yourself about me."

Temperance glared up at him and then turned on her heel and began to walk away. She was angry. She wanted to help Tanner and he was treating her as if she were a child. Tanner quickly came around her and stopped her in her tracks. She looked up at him and marveled at just how much taller and more broad his frame was than hers.

"Temp, please don't walk away from me angry," he pleaded.

Temperance could see the guilt in his eyes and it caused her temper to fade. "Then let me in, Tanner," she replied, using the very words he had used with her. "You won't step on the front porch, you sleep outside even during storms, your nightmares seem to be growing worse and just yesterday you nearly turned around and shot Silas when he entered the barn and dropped that board...."