Chapter Three

1868, Fraysner's Harbour

Adelyn avoided all of her usual spots the next day. Her mishap at the market had left her weary, and though she'd hoped no one had seen her face while she ran, she couldn't be sure. She didn't want to risk it by being seen in the same place a day later.

Harlem had spent the whole night at the Rats Den tavern, something he did often when he didn't have to work the morning after. When it came to be noon and he still hadn't gotten himself back to Anne Marten's, Adelyn began to worry.

She knew there wasn't likely to be anything wrong with him; odds were he was passed out at the back of the bar with a bottle of rum glued to his hand. Still, Adelyn worried for him. He was a brute, but when he got drunk, he got angry, and he often got himself into trouble.

As Adelyn neared the docks, she felt her heart rate climb. After yesterday, she had no desire to be right back where she'd been with the pirate. The black sails were still in the harbour, which meant the Captain that'd fired at her and the boy was still there, too. Adelyn just had no idea where.

She pushed open the door to the tavern, her eyes scanning the tables inside until she spotted Harlem slumped over in the back corner. Adelyn snorted, watching him drool over the table as she stalked over. .

Across the table from him, Garett Winters was sipping at a cup of rum, so close to sleep that his head had lolled back and his eyes were half-shut. Most of the rum in his cup ended up dripping down the sides of his face rather than falling into his mouth.

Adelyn reached over and shook Harlem's shoulders, letting out a heavy breath when it didn't wake him. She walked back towards the bar, grabbing a cup full of water and splashing it over Harlem's face. He jolted, his eyes blinking awake. It took a minute for them to focus on her.

"Addie?" He said, frowning. His hand found it's way to his head and he groaned.

Adelyn snorted, "That's what you get for spending the whole night here. You get one day off, and you get to spend it hungover."

"You're cruel, Addie," Harlem said, pushing himself to his feet. He swayed only a little before shaking it off, stepping out from behind the table. "Let's get home, then."

"Is all you did last night was drink yourselves silly?" Adelyn asked, watching his slow steps. It felt as though it'd taken them ages to get to the door of the tavern.

"That, and some tot-hunting," Harlem said, and despite how sick he looked, he managed a grin.

Tot-hunting. Scouring the streets for girls pretty enough to tempt them. Adelyn rolled her eyes, "Of course."

She'd only just pushed the door open when she heard a familiar voice yell a few tables away, the sound of a sword unsheathing making her blood freeze over. "I know you took it, Kors. You and your men have been tailing me for weeks."

"I took nothing, you old man." The boy from yesterday said, and Adelyn turned to watch him and the older pirate fight. The older man held a blade to his throat, but the younger boy didn't seem at all fazed by it. "If you lost it, it's on you."

"No one else knew I was here," The old man said, his eyes narrowing. By then, Harlem was outside, hiding from the sun in the shade of the Tavern. He didn't look at all bothered by Adelyn's sudden stop, nor the commotion. "Me and you are the only people in this whole damned city who knew about that watch—no one else was interested!"

The boy shrugged, his eyes on the table in front of him. He drew in a breath, and then he let out a laugh. He looked more annoyed than anything else. "Have you considered... common thieves?"