Chapter Thirty-Three

1868, Fraysner's Harbour

When land came into view once again, the ship came to life. It was just as the sun was setting, casting an orange glow over the shadow that loomed in the distance, just close enough that Stinger, who sat perched on the mast above their heads, could see it through the spy glass. He called out to all those below him with cheer in his voice, "Land ahead!"

Adelyn and Nina looked at eachother and grinned, already racing up the steps to the forecastle. Adelyn's feet skid to a stop just shy of the front, and she leaned up over the railing, just to the right of the bowsprit. Beneath her, she could see the smooth flow of the wooden siren's hair, carved into the bow of the ship-- and ahead, she could see the lights of a city, gleaming against a dark shadow. Land.

Nina whistled, just a few feet to Adelyn's right, "Well isn't that a pretty sight."

"Is that Fraysner's?" Adelyn asked, wide eyed.

Nina laughed, "More than likely."

Adelyn couldn't contain herself-- she grinned, "How long til we get there, do you think?"

"An hour," Nina said, shrugging. "Maybe two."

Harlem sauntered up then, turning and jumping back so he sat on the bow of the ship, facing them. He sighed, "I'm ready for a beer-- a fresh one. And by fresh, I mean cold."

"You and everyone else on board," Nina said, smiling.

Adelyn could hardly tear her eyes away-- they were glued to scene before her, watching as they inched closer and closer to the mass of mountains and forestry before them. The closer they got, the more Adelyn could recognise the city they approached. Before long, she saw the mountain that sat just off to the side of the port, and the ships that were docked in the harbour. If she squinted, she could just make out the town hall, situated at the top of the hill behind the main part of the town.

Adelyn waited there, right up on the bow, as though leaning forward over the water would make the ship sail any faster. Eagerness coursed through her, pumping in her veins.

In what felt like no time at all, lines were being thrown over the ship's side and they were being tugged closer to the dock. Adelyn stumbled over her feet with the ship came to an abrupt halt; lines were tied off and Adelyn struggled to keep herself still as she waited for the gangplank to be put into place.

Nikolai was the first off the ship, and one by one they all filed off just after. As the crew started towards the shore, he called after them, "We leave tomorrow, last light. If you're not on board, we leave you behind."

Only when Adelyn's feet hit the dock did he start walking, pressed against her side like a guard. She couldn't keep the grin off her face. With a deep breath, she sniffed at the air, the familiar scent of the harbour a blessing to her senses. "There were times aboard that ship that I didn't think I'd ever see this place again."

"Good to be home, then?" Nikolai prompted, smiling smally. He swallowed. "Are you thinking of staying this time?"

Adelyn looked at him, frowning, "Can't get rid of me that easy. It's nice to be able to say goodbye though, I guess."

"You could stay, you know." He said, shrugging. All Adelyn had to do was look at him again, her head tilted and her jaw set, and his hands went up in surrender. "Okay, okay, point taken. You'll hear nothing more on the matter from me."

"Good," Adelyn said, turning back towards the dock. The wood creaked under her boots, aged and worn from years of people walking on it. Above them, the streets were just as busy as they were at this time of day. Dusk had fallen, the sunlight gone, and most of the people of Fraysner's, the real crooks and the drunks, were just heading out to start their nights.

A Game Of Changing Tidesजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें