Chapter Four: Scene 1

Thalia arranged for James to be introduced to the caravaners at their campsite. James met her at the city gates so Thalia could show him the way. Her hair was pulled back in a scarf, and she’d traded her dress for rugged trousers that accentuated the lines of her legs. Thalia traveled the forest paths with the same grace she lent to her dancing.

“These friends of yours. How well do you know them?” asked James.

“They’re not my home caravan, but I’ve known Alvie since I was small enough to sit on his knee. He’s trustworthy.”

They broke through a clearing where seven covered wagons were circled around a firepit. A handful of men and women went about their business, weaving between the wagons and occasionally ducking into them. James had seen caravaners before when they traded in the city, but he’d had little interaction with them. They were a close-knit bunch and mostly kept to themselves, though James had heard that they were protective and fiercely loyal, both to their own caravans and to others that they formed alliances with.

“How often are they here?” asked James.

“Once a fortnight, perhaps,” said Thalia.

The back flap of a wagon opened, and a bald, stocky man stepped out. He had a face resembling a walrus, with a curled mustache in place of tusks. “Thalia!” he said.

Thalia responded with the first genuine smile James had seen from her.

Alvie pulled the dancing girl into an embrace. “Still here then, on your mad quest?”

“Until it’s done.” She spoke quietly, but something about her tone suggested that she was holding her ground in a long disagreement between the two of them.

Alvie’s expression became more guarded when he saw James. “You’re the buyer?”

“I can get your goods past the Red Shield checkpoints,” said James.

“You’re not afraid of the Palace?” The trader looked him up and down.

James smiled. “More marks against me won’t make a difference. But why would you take this risk?”

Alvie gestured in the direction of the city. “The Palace keeps our prices low by prohibiting us from selling to others. I travel far for those goods. I want to make my fair due.”

“I assume Thalia’s told you that we’re only planning one run. We don’t plan to be in Forge much longer.”

“Plenty of money in one run,” said Alvie. “And if things go well, there’s no reason we couldn’t continue this elsewhere.”

“Fair enough,” said James. “We’ll need to find buyers, but I’d like to see the wares first.”

“Certainly.” Alvie gestured to Thalia. “It’s in the fifth wagon.”

As Thalia disappeared behind the wagon, Alvie turned his eye toward James. “You know her well?”

“No. She sought me out.”

Alvie looked him over again. James suspected that this time Alvie wasn’t evaluating his abilities as a smuggler. He wasn’t sure what the caravaner could discern from his appearance, but whatever Alvie saw didn’t clear the suspicion from his eyes. “I’d ask your help in keeping her out of trouble, but I suppose that’s not your arrangement with her.”

James smiled, not missing the layers of questions behind the caravaner’s remark. “She’s not looking to stay out of trouble.” If Alvie wanted to know more about their arrangement, he’d have to get it out of Thalia.

“Are you involved with her?” Alvie asked bluntly.

“Why do you want to know?”

“We both stand to lose much if this venture goes wrong. Thalia says you’re trustworthy, but I need to know if anything’s clouding her judgment.”

James didn’t believe for a moment that the man’s concern was for business reasons. Not with the protective way he watched over the girl. James supposed there was no point in needlessly antagonizing the man. “She keeps her distance,” he said.

Alvie gave a quick nod, apparently satisfied, and looked to where Thalia was climbing out of the wagon.

“She’s changed,” he said. “Since she lost her sister.”

The caravaner was watching him for a reaction. James gave a noncommittal shrug. “I just do what she pays me to do.”

There was a twitch of frustration in Alvie’s expression. He might have said more, but Thalia was already coming back with a large box. If she suspected she’d been the topic of conversation, she gave no sign of it. Alvie placed the box on the back of the nearest wagon and opened it. The smell of a half dozen spices filled the air.

“Cinnamon, saffron, curries from Minadel,” said Alvie. “I can give you some samples to show to your buyers.”

“That will work. I should have buyers ready in a fortnight.”

Thalia stood on her toes and kissed Alvie lightly on the cheek. “You’ll bring me the venom next time?”

When Alvie stayed silent, she added, “If you don’t, I’ll just go forward without it.”

For a moment, it looked like Alvie was going to argue, but he gave a defeated nod and squeezed her tight. “Take care of yourself.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you for reading!  The entire Poison Dance novella is available for purchase in ebook and paperback at all major vendors. 

Buy links here:  http://liviablackburne.com/poison-dance/

Poison Dance is a prequel to my novel Midnight Thief, coming in July 2014 from Disney Hyperion.  Learn more and preorder here: http://liviablackburne.com/midnight-thief/