Chapter Seven: Scene 1

Alvie waited in the shadow of his wagon train, arms folded across his chest. Today was one of those days when he felt the weight of his years. His back ached from setting up camp, and everything felt heavy.

He hadn’t been surprised by the news when it came through the rumor mills. Everyone who’d known Thalia had been preparing to hear it for a while. The girl had been headstrong and fiercely loyal to her sister. These were characteristics one couldn’t afford to indulge when dealing with people like Hamel.

There was a rustle in the trees, and the young assassin came around a wagon. He was vigilant as he came into the circle, his eyes sweeping in all directions. Alvie imagined that James looked more tired than when they’d last met. His eyes were colder.

The assassin didn’t waste time on niceties. “You’ve heard by now?” he asked.

“Enough,” said Alvie. “I’ll relay the news to her home caravan. Let them claim their right to avenge her, if they so choose.”

“They didn’t avenge her sister,” James said. There might have been a hint of disdain in his voice.

“True,” Alvie conceded. “But don’t blame them for Thalia’s death. They loved the girls like their own daughters, and their decision not to go up against one of Forge’s top noblemen does not diminish that.”

“Whether they loved her or not is of no consequence to me. But they need not worry about vengeance. I’ll take responsibility for it,” James said.

Alvie believed him, the way he spoke. “You’ll strike against Hamel?” said Alvie. “There will be consequences, if I understand how your city functions.”

“I know the risks.”

It was on Alvie’s tongue to ask why only now, after the girl’s death, was James finally willing to go against the nobleman. But one look at the assassin’s face convinced him to keep the question to himself. “Why did you help her?” Alvie asked instead. “If you knew she’d likely fail?” He was careful not to inject any anger into his voice. The time for anger was past, and Alvie simply wanted to know.

James looked warily at Alvie, but seemed to sense that the trader meant no harm. “Risk is everywhere. Only the nobles have the luxury of a long easy life. Justice, vengeance, the ability to carve out your own fate instead of being herded like an animal. Sometimes it’s worth dying for.”

“I take it that you were close to Thalia, then?” Alvie asked.

“It doesn’t matter now.” That was probably as close a man like him would ever come to admitting love.

One of the horses neighed and they both looked to the sound, but there was no one else nearby. When the assassin turned back to their conversation, his tone was matter-of-fact.

“I’m afraid the city is too unstable now for our old plan,” said James. “If you can wait. . .”

Alvie waved away James’s concerns. “I’ve waited years. A few months won’t hurt.”

“I appreciate it. Though I do want some goods from you today.”

“Certainly.” Alvie turned to his wagons. “What’ll it be?”

“Lizard skin venom. Three vials.” Perhaps Alvie’s surprise showed, because James continued, “I understand you were bringing some for her.”

Alvie swung back toward the assassin, regarding him now with interest. “I do have a few vials, but it’s expensive.”

James palmed something from his belt pouch. “I trust this will be enough.”

There was just the slightest hesitation, a possessive last clench of the assassin’s fist before he opened his hand to reveal an exquisite gold chain. The craftsmanship was undeniable in the delicacy of the leaf-shaped links. James looked away as Alvie inspected it.

“This will be more than enough,” Alvie said. “And I can supply you with more, should you run out. Do you have much need for venoms?”

And suddenly there was a glint in James’s eye. “I do.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you for reading!  The entire Poison Dance novella is available for purchase in ebook and paperback at all major vendors. 

Buy links here:  http://liviablackburne.com/poison-dance/

Poison Dance is a prequel to my novel Midnight Thief, coming in July 2014 from Disney Hyperion.  Learn more and preorder here: http://liviablackburne.com/midnight-thief/