Prologue

Come on, Alexa, I coaxed. Anna needs you.

I coughed loudly as my lungs screamed in pain. The fire surrounding me in this warehouse seemed to spread faster than I could move. The heat in my chest was suffocating and my eyes burned.

Just get out, my mind pleaded. You need to get out now!

Melissa. Where was Melissa? I couldn't leave without her. I had to save her too!

But her words echoed in my mind like she was right next to me.

Don't look back, she said. Just don't look back.

Finally, the winter night surrounded me. The heaviness in my legs threatened to pull me down and plant me in the hard soil. Ash floated around me like black snow as I walked away from the only source of heat in this God-forsaken place.

I couldn't feel anything but the pain in my limbs as I carried Anna in my fatigued arms. My eyes remained forward, too afraid to look down at my sister's body. Too afraid that my efforts hadn't been good enough. I just had to get as far away from this place as possible.

So, I trudged on. My breathing was deep as I forced one leg in front of the other. I could feel the dried soot on my face, mixed with the tears that had escaped my eyes.

"Anna," I whispered.

But she was completely still in my arms. Like she was sleeping peacefully as dreams of before our lives had turned black and white played in her head. It was such a perfect image.

Then a loud explosion erupted behind me.

I stumbled forward from the force. The heat burned my back as I tried my best to hold Anna's body but I couldn't. I just... couldn't.

I fell forward. My face hit the cold ground as I came face to face with my sister. Her eyes remained shut. Tears welled and rolled over my cheek which dampened the soil beneath me.

"I'm sorry, Anna," I whispered.

I brought my trembling hand up to her face. She was still warm.

"I'm so sorry."