One

The late December weather slapped me in the face as I rounded the block of South Grande and 6th Avenue. Tall buildings surrounded me as I paced past the bustling bodies of Los Angeles' working class. I tugged my jacket tighter against my back as I navigated through the crowd.

The conversations of civilians on their cellphones and the hum of street traffic kept me anchored to reality as my eyes caught my destination. My fists clenched at the sight.

My trek came to a halt as I stood in front of the glass doors of the NIA building. My urgent grip wrapped around the door handle and pulled, letting myself in.

The outside chatter, honking and street noise disappeared and was replaced with a serene silence, except for the front desk and the ringing of an office phone. I pressed passed the woman who sat at the receptionist desk.

"Ma'am?" she called.

I didn't bother to look at her as I disappeared into the elevator. Maybe I was being a bit rude, but frankly I just didn't care. My finger stabbed the top floor as my eyes checked the time.

2:26, the clock read in fluorescent white numbers.

Right on time, I told myself.

Chapman wouldn't be expecting me, but that was the plan. I leaned casually against the far side of the elevator and hoped it masked the nervous anger I had bubbling inside.

The doors opened to the Executive floor and I heard his voice approaching.

"Yes, I need you to run this down to Monroe," he ordered. "And file this paperwork. I don't have time to do it."

He and Melissa stepped into the elevator distracted, so when they decided to look up my presence took them by surprise. My arms folded over my chest as the doors shut.

"Alexa," Chapman said. "What are you-?"

I hit the emergency stop button on the elevator panel. A low ringing sound hummed through the speakers.

"You stopped returning my calls," I stated. "So, I figured I'd give you a visit."

Melissa watched me nervously.

Chapman folded his arms. "We have no new leads, but we're working non-stop. Alexa, we are going to find Anna-"

"It's been a week." I stepped closer. "An entire week without any word on where she could be. I need something, Chapman."

"I can't give you that information."

"Bullshit!" I shouted. "She's my fucking sister! I should've been the first one assigned to help solve her case!"

Chapman was losing his composure. "Alexa, the longer you hold me in this elevator the more time you waste."

He stepped forward in an attempt to hit the emergency stop button, but I blocked his path. I wasn't letting him leave without giving me something. No, not today.

Melissa reached out for me. "Alexa..."

"Don't." I pulled away from her. "Stop trying to make me seem crazy when I have every right to be here!"

"This is why you're on temporary leave," Chapman explained. "Anna's case is too personal for you to work on with a level head."

I allowed my anger to grow.

"So, what?" I raged. "I'm supposed to just sit around and wait for you and your team to find my sister?" This was unbelievable! "Don't you think you owe me, Chapman? After everything I did for you?!"