nineteen

I've just finished applying my lipstick, a dark red shade to match my dress, when I hear Josie's voice calling from the hall. She sounds excited, which I put down to my finally agreeing to go out tonight. It had taken a lot of persuasion from the other five in our flat, but it was Josie - who has quickly become my new best friend in the past couple of months I've not had you - telling me she was worried about me, that convinced me.

Admittedly, I've not been the best flatmate recently: miserable, withdrawn and refusing every invitation to do anything. How can I go to a screening of Grease at the outdoor cinema when all I'll think of is the time I forced you to watch it last year? Drinks at Wetherspoons? Not when we used to go there all the time. Not to mentiom that the suggestion of a no-strings-attached rebound, no matter how hot he is, is preposterous. So, I've studied and filled the rest of my time with all the hours I can get at the restaurant I waitress at. But it's my birthday and I know that if I stay home all I'll do is think of the previous ones spent with you, so I've given in.

"I'll be ready in a minute!" I shout back to Josie as I slip my feet into a pair of heels I've not worn since New Years Eve, when we sat together in the corner of the party and I kissed you at midnight, unaware that this would be the year it would all fall apart.

No, I tell myself, Not now.

"Well, hurry up, because there's someone..."

I'm not sure if Josie stops speaking or if her voice just becomes mute to me as I swing open my door. Because there you are. No more than a couple of feet away, leaning against a wall in the hallway, as if it's the most normal thing in the world. My breath catches in my throat as you say softly, "Happy birthday."

Despite myself, despite the months we've been apart, I don't even think as I rush forwards and throw my arms around you. I bury my face in the crook of your neck. Your arms are strong and steady around me. Finally, I think, I am home again.