fifteen

"And then my dad was like, 'you have no idea what you're talking about' and that just made me so mad, so I was like 'well actually, I do, because I overheard..." Maisie trails off from her fervent rant about her current family drama to glare at Sara. "Sara, are you even listening? What are you even looking at?"

Sara nodded in the direction she was gazing. "Him. I sit by him in Biology and yesterday he gave me his number. He just smiled at me."

She appears to be smitten, but in the month or so I've known Sara, I've come to realise that she's head over heels for a new guy (or sometimes girl) about every three days, so we've stopped giving her crushes too much thought.

Still, Maisie twists round in her seat to take a look at the current prospect, then turns back to us.

"Pretty cute, I guess," she admits reluctantly.

I lean across closer to Sara to see for myself. For the first of what would become an infinite amount of times, I look at you. You look up and for a fleeting moment our eyes meet across the room.

Then, I roll my eyes and look away. "Seriously, Sara, rein it in for a minute so Maisie can finish her story. That boy is of precisely zero importance to any of us."