ix. Sonny The Chihuahua

╔═══════════════╗

╔═══════════════╗

chapter ix.
( the lightning thief )
❝ sonny the chihuahua ❞

╚═══════════════╝

i reuploaded this so many times cause i can't spell chihuahua oop

TOWARDS THE END OF OUR SECOND DAY ON THE TRAIN, June 13, eight days before the summer solstice, we passed through some golden hills and over the Mississippi River into St Louis. Annabeth craned her neck to see the Gateway Arch, which looked like a humongous handle of a handbag.

"I want to do that," she sighed, her eyes wide in amazement.

"What?" Percy asked.

"Build something like that. You ever see the Parthenon, Percy?"

"Only in pictures."

"Someday, I'm going to go see it in person. I'm going to build the greatest monument to the gods ever. Something that'll last a thousand years."

Percy let out a laugh. "You? An architect?"

I frowned at Percy, before smacking his shoulder. "Be nice, Barnacle Boy."

Annabeth's cheeks flushed. "Yes, an architect. Athena expects her children to create things, not just tear them down, like a certain god of earthquakes I could mention."

Percy's eyes dulled and he watched the churning brown water of the Mississipi below, and Annabeth instantly knew her mistake and bit her lip.

"Sorry," she said. "That was mean."

"It's okay," Percy said. "Why don't we work together? I mean, didn't Athena and Poseidon ever cooperate?"

"Well ..." I shrugged, "there was the chariot." Annabeth looked to me, and I shrunk down in my seat. "Pushing in? Sorry."

Annabeth rolled her eyes good-heartedly. "My mom invented it, but Poseidon created horses out of the crests of waves. So they had to work together to make it complete."

"Then we can cooperate, too. Right?"

We rode into the city, Annabeth watching as the Arch disappeared behind a hotel. "I suppose," she whispered.

I watched it too, and I smiled at how the sun gleamed on the tip. "Annabeth, I wanna join you in seeing the Parthenon."

She glanced at me and sent me a smile, in which I returned.

Percy then leaned back beside me, his green eyes staring at me. I arched a brow at him. "What?"

He shrugged. "I was just wondering whether we could, you know, work together too? I'm pretty sure Apollo and Poseidon don't have such a bad relationship with each other like Athena."