xii. Lotus Casino

╔═══════════════╗

╔═══════════════╗

chapter xii.
( the lightning thief )
❝ lotus casino ❞

╚═══════════════╝

      PERCY WAS FUMING ALL THE WAY back to the diner. I tried to keep my distance from him, afraid that the storm in his eyes would cause a tsunami to wash over me personally. He wasn't angry at me, I knew that, but he was so terrifying, that it made me squirm in my spot and shuffle closer to Annabeth hoping that she would bring me some comfort. It turned out that she was just as scared as I am.

      The child of Athena was still shaken about the spiders, and I couldn't blame her. I myself still shivered at the feeling of those metal things crawling up my arms and legs like a thousand fingernails. I could tell she was embarrassed, and she felt stupid that she didn't do anything. That she stood petrified and screaming. I, myself, wanted to slap myself. I had been so weak and helpless in that situation. So much that Percy had to save me, once again.

      I may not be a child of Athena, but as I took her hand in mine, I knew exactly how she felt.

      We returned to the diner to see Ares waiting for us in the parking lot. He leaned against his motorcycle, and I tried my best not to stare at the caucasian-skin leather. "Well, well," he said when he saw us. "You didn't get yourself killed."

      "You knew it was a trap," Percy narrowed his eyes at the god, and Ares gave him a wicked grin.

      "Bet that crippled blacksmith was surprised when he netted a couple of stupid kids. You looked good on TV."

      I felt my face turn red. Percy shoved his shield at him. "You're a jerk."

      Annabeth, Grover and I all held our breaths. I was about to think to myself, idiot, but I stopped myself. I was beginning to get used to Percy's idiotic antics. Ares grabbed the shield and spun it around in the air, almost like a chef would with pizza dough. It changed into a different form, melting into a bulletproof vest. He slung it over his back before he pointed to an eighteen-wheeler parked across the street. "See that truck over there?" he said. "That's your ride. Take you straight to L.A., with one stop in Vegas."

      The truck had a sign on the back, reading: KINDNESS INTERNATIONAL: ZOO TRANSPORT. WARNING: LIVE WILD ANIMALS. The reverse-printed white on black writing made it easier to read. I exchanged a look with Annabeth.

      "You're kidding," Percy said.

      Ares snapped his fingers, and the back door of the truck unlatched. "Free ride west, punk. Stop complaining. And there's a little something for doing the job." He slung a blue nylon backpack off his handlebars and tossed it to Percy, who caught it in his arms. I glanced over his shoulder to see fresh clothes for all four of us and a bag of Double Stuf Oreos inside. Percy shot a glare in Ares's direction.