Chapter 8

Stiles woke up before I did the next morning. It was the scent of breakfast cooking downstairs that actually roused me. Stiles’ kiss was just an added bonus. I kissed him back, still half asleep. “How are you feeling?” I asked, trying to work through the haze hanging over me.

“I’m fine… and yourself?”

“Pretty good,” I replied. “I’m sorry I didn’t last long…”

Stiles smiled. “It was our first time. I didn’t expect a marathon. I don’t think I would have been able to handle that, to be honest…”

I couldn’t believe how much I loved him. And now that the Mate Bond was solidified, he was a part of our pack. “Did you know that we were supposed to be Mates?” I asked.

“In the beginning, yes,” he admitted. “But as time went on, I forgot. Helping you become an Alpha became my biggest priority.”

“That’s kind of creepy,” I told him, laughing.

“Well, when you were four I wasn’t thinking about having sex with you!” Stiles protested. “And like I told you… I forgot that we were supposed to be Mates. You became my friend instead.”

I nuzzled close to him. “I’m just teasing,” I whispered. I laid in his arms until mom called us down for breakfast. He and I pulled on some pajamas and made our way to the dining room. I never expected how awkward it would be. My sisters shot sideways glances as Laura helped my mom set the table. Uncle Peter tried not to make it uncomfortable. My entire family knew I had sex last night.

Quietly, I pulled a chair out for Stiles and sat down, trying to create distance between me and Laura. She looked up from the large pitcher of orange juice. “I didn’t get the chance to ask you two… did you want your eggs well done?”

Cora snickered. Uncle Peter glared at my sisters. “Laura… that’s enough”

“Lighten up, Uncle Peter!” Laura mused. “I’m just joking.” Cora poured herself a glass of orange juice and took a sip. “The bacon is almost ready. I wasn’t sure if you’d want sausage or if you got your fill last night.”

Cora spat her orange juice out, unable to contain her laughter. “That’s enough!” Dad growled, his eyes glowing red. “Laura… apologize right now!”

I could feel my face growing hotter and stood up. “I’m not hungry,” I said, leaving the dining room and slamming the front door as I left. I could hear Mom and Dad yelling at my sisters for what they said, but it didn’t matter. I was mortified and humiliated.

“I’ll go after him,” Stiles offered.

“No,” Dad said. “I will.”

I climbed up into my favorite tree, looking out into the woods, imagining all the witty remarks I could have said in the moment, but didn’t. Dad approached the tree and climbed up as well, perching himself on a nearby branch. “I’m sorry that happened,” he said.

“You’re not the one who should apologize,” I replied.

“You’re right,” he agreed. “Your mother and I are happy for you, though. And we’re so sorry we didn’t believe you.”

“Thanks,” I said softly.

“I’m proud of you, Derek. More proud than you’ll ever know,” he told me.

“Why?” I asked. I was not accustomed to hearing my dad speak like this.

“How much time do we have?” he laughed. I grinned, looking over at him “But in all seriousness, you kept to your guns when your own family didn’t believe you. That takes courage.”