Chapter 12: Of More Than Men

By the time they reached the castle, Skye was ready to drop. Auda, it transpired, had been unable to enter the maelstrom, as though some force had kept her out; it was difficult to tell whether she was more furious with Skye for running off, or herself for being unable to follow.

At least her fury was such that Auda didn't ask any questions, just stamped along behind Skye and occasionally muttered something under her breath. Skye was glad of it – talk was the last thing she wanted.

Unfortunately, talk was what she was going to get.

The streets were already filling with startled onlookers, gossiping about the noise they'd heard and remarking on the strange circle of burn marks filling the square. The storm had lasted only minutes, though, and no-one had actually seen very much; nor, amid the fervour of discussion, did anyone notice two women slipping against the current of the crowd. No-one noticed them enter the castle, either, and Skye was well-versed enough in its intricacies to get them to her room unseen.

Where Josselyn was pacing, and Skye could see a storm was about to break loose.

His initial reaction was simply to stare at her. His eyes were wide, his neatly braided hair tugged free as though he'd run his fingers through it countless times. Skye wasn't even sure at what time in the morning the siblings swapped duties, or how long he might have been there, nor did she know what to say when he asked where they'd been.

"She went running off after a thief." That was Auda, growling the reply from behind Skye's back. Where Josselyn had been frantic, it was clear a barely contained anger simmered beneath his sister's skin.

"A thief?" Josselyn echoed.

Skye eased her aching body into a chair and kicked off her boots. "The one who got into my room and fled through the tunnels. Turns out he's just the lackey of that girl we met in the woods."

Josselyn's brows rose, and Skye found herself wondering how much of that encounter he'd related to Auda – who was, in typical Auda fashion, looking like she wanted to punch something. "And then," she ground out, "we ran into the ambassador."

It didn't matter that the decision to go after Helida had been mutual – every word Auda spat out dripped with blame. In truth, Skye didn't really want to discuss the matter – all she wanted was sleep – but she felt bound to ask.

"Why does it matter that you couldn't get close to the storm? It was just some quirk of the spell. Maybe the wards only let those of Eskel blood close when they're active."

Auda rounded on her, nostrils flaring. "I couldn't give a rat's arse about the magic, Your Highness. I'm more concerned that you ran off without me."

"I didn't know you wouldn't be able to follow."

"But you must have worked it out quickly enough. Why didn't you turn back? For that matter, why did you chase that thief in the first place? This castle is brimming with guards – any one of them could have dealt with it."

Skye shifted uncomfortably in her chair. The truth was, everything about the castle and her newfound position was stifling, and having everything done for her made her feel like a doll being dressed by a little girl. Chasing Dara had felt like a way to regain control, to fix a problem with her own two hands; that, and pure Conclave-trained instinct.

Not that she was going to get a chance to say so, because Auda hadn't finished.

"It was irresponsible, dangerous, and absolutely bloody stupid. What would have happened if you'd been killed?"

"I suppose Perityr would take the throne after all, and everyone from Varren to the Church would finally be happy. But that's not what you're talking about, is it?" A suspicion was creeping over Skye, one that made her go cold all over. "You don't care who rules. You're only worried about yourself."