Chapter 20: Opportunity

The castle was quiet on their return, and Duke Gildan nowhere to be seen. Josselyn retired to sleep, and Skye knew she should do the same, but she felt restless and shaky after her encounter with Helida. In the end, she went up to the bell tower, Auda trailing after; mercifully, her thinking spot was empty.

For a while, she merely perched on a parapet, looking out over Celiande. A thousand conflicting emotions warred in her head. The Nocturnes had killed Karic. They wanted to bring shadow to this land. They'd been in communication with her father, and might even be responsible for his death. They'd been a blight on Eskeleth for centuries, and they needed to be stamped out, once and for all.

That didn't make Gildan's sortie any better, though. What was the use in protecting Celiande from the Nocturnes, if you targeted its most vulnerable citizens in the same breath? Even if those women had been Nocturnes, Skye couldn't see herself putting them to the sword. They were desperate, trampled beneath the rest of society – who knew what escape the cult might offer them?

Even then, Skye had a twinge of doubt. What if being too lenient let the Nocturnes flourish? Everyone would be in danger if the cult was allowed to pursue its goals. Where to draw the line between protecting the weak and protecting the kingdom as a whole?

"You're thinking," came Auda's voice from near the door. "I wouldn't do that if I were you."

"It comes with the job."

Auda shrugged. "Plenty of kings let others do the thinking for them."

Skye beckoned her closer. "What would you have done?"

She didn't need to spell out her meaning; Auda knew perfectly well. She didn't immediately answer, giving the question the weight it deserved. "I would have saved them," she said finally, "and I wouldn't have fretted about it afterwards."

"Even if they were Nocturnes after all?"

Auda shrugged again. "So you lose one battle, against the larger war. Maybe that means more casualties later, or not; it's worth it to protect those who can't protect themselves. Oh, and I would have punched Helida in the gut."

"Not the face?"

"She's still a damn fine-looking woman. It'd be a shame to spoil that."

Skye looked up and found Auda grinning lopsidedly. "You're running out of chances to admire her. I don't think Helida will be here much longer."

"Unless you apologise."

Skye let out a loud breath. "It wouldn't work, not now."

"It would." Auda was nodding. "She's a proud woman, Helida. If you really want to avoid a war... Pander to her, make her feel important, and she'll give you another chance."

Skye raised an eyebrow. "Is that what you've been doing?"

Another grin. "I haven't been anywhere near her, sad to say. I told you, Felise wouldn't approve."

"Tell me about Felise."

Auda shook her head slowly, with a distant smile. "She's a baker in Celiande."

"How long have you been together?"

"Nearly two years. Joss is the only one who knows, besides Fel's parents."

For the second time that day, Skye felt a rush of gratitude. She knew what a boon she was being given, this peek into Auda's life. Eskelenes had few qualms about two women living together, and Shenlanders even fewer, but this was deeply personal no matter who was involved. That Auda had time to pursue, and maintain, a relationship alongside her duties was a testament to her resolve.