CHAPTER FIFTEEN: TRAUMA (3/6)

'The X1 you stole belonged to Sae-quin Lor,' Swanne explained. 'I know because I have been trying to acquire it for a long time. Lor was a genius, a god among scientists, but he was afraid of his own invention. He created bio-mechs as a way to control insects - or 'natures gardeners' as he called them - but he was repulsed by the idea of creating more sophisticated animals. When I expressed an interest in his research, he refused to part with it and even locked it away with him. For years we've done what we can to further his work, coming as far as hounds and panthers, but without Lor's genius, it's not been easy.

'Then one day, a rumour surfaced - that years ago, Lor had purchased a rogue X1 on the black market. While most thought this to be a myth, I instantly saw the genius of it. What better place to store his research than on a federal killing machine? His own personal armoured hard-drive.

'I dispatched a crew to go and investigate. I even gave them the tools required to hack the X1 and bring it back, but they betrayed me. They kept it for themselves and used it as their own play-thing.'

'Wait, what crew?'

'You should know, Miss Balera. You're the one who apprehended them.'

'You mean... the Black Chains...?'

'Glad to see you're keeping up.'

Kas felt sick. 'You murdered him...'

'They murdered him. Against my orders. Believe me, I was as angry as anyone when I found out what they'd done. I tried to recapture them and the X1, but I was thwarted by you. How a small-time bounty hunter managed to hack an X1, I can only imagine. Your computer friend, Dante, perhaps?'

Kas looked away.

Swanne smiled. 'Yes. But none of this really matters anymore, does it? The important thing is that you brought him to me, though I would have preferred it if he were still operational. What happened to him while he was in your care? Did you find out what he was and try to destroy him?'

'Eat me.'

'Very mature. Don't worry though, I'm confident I can still get something useful out of him. It turns out the child you're so fond of is a former convent child herself. Her mind's especially malleable, like a well-used piece of putty. It only took an hour to download all the knowledge we have on X1's into her little head.'

Kas could barely contain her anger. 'You put her in one of these things...?'

'I don't know why you're so angry. You're lucky to be alive. Had the databeam worked as intended, I would have taken command of your X1, ordered it to kill you and then used it to pilot your ship straight here. Frustratingly, it would seem Lor modified it so that it can only be updated via a physical interface. Your X1 is the only one in the entire solar system - perhaps even the galaxy - that can't be accessed remotely. But here you both are anyway, and all in one piece. It almost makes one believe in fate, doesn't it?'

Kas had so many questions but her mouth refused to speak them. Her brain waves were stretching ever higher as if they were pulling apart the sinews of her mind. She wondered if this was what insanity felt like.

'Governor Swanne,' said a synthetic voice from the black pillar.

'What is it, Astrid?' Swanne replied, still looking at Kas.

'You wanted to be informed of any changes in the BMR lab.'

'And?'

'There has been a breakthrough with the X1.'

Swanne's lips twisted into an ominous grin. 'Excellent. I will be there shortly.' She crossed her arms and regarded Kas thoughtfully. 'What wonderful timing. I was looking forward to putting you under myself, but since I now have more important matters to deal with, perhaps it would be better if I hand you over to my apprentice.' Swanne swivelled on her heels and walked away towards the black pillar. The cabin door slid open as she approached. She stepped inside and turned back for one last look at Kas trapped behind the glass wall.

'I'm looking forward to meeting you again, Miss Balera.' The pillar slid shut and Swanne disappeared from view.

Kas's eyes immediately fell on the WASP soldier now walking ominously towards her. She spotted the nightstriker fastened to his left forearm and felt her heart kick out against her chest. As he arrived in front of her, she looked desperately into his nitroglass mask but all she could see was her own distorted reflection staring back. The panic in her eyes was all too obvious.

The soldier's right hand lifted towards his mask and traced a solitary finger down the side of his visor like he was wiping away a tear. The visor shimmered and suddenly became transparent, and Kas's anxiety mutated into a confused anger.

That smug smile combined with the smooth, faultless complexion and perfect blonde hair made her skin shiver and crawl. When he spoke, his calm voice stung her ears worse than the raw screaming databeam ever had.

'How ya doing, mohawk?'

In that moment, Kas decided if she ever got free, she was going to kill flight lieutenant Astell.